Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please review my Pump and Filter combination.

1. Back To Top    #1

Please review my Pump and Filter combination.

With all the help and information from here, I think I have figured out the combination for my new pool (yet to actually be bought).

This equipment is for either an 18x40 (22,000 Gallons) or 18x45 (25,000 Gallons) oval 54" deep.

I do not know the actual head of the system since it isn't yet built, but I am assuming 30 for an AGP. I will be using 2" piping for the intakes and reserves. Turnover rate of about 6 hours with the 25,000 gallon pool, but for 12 hours with the two-speed on low speed.

Pentair System:3 Modular D.E. Filter - SMD series model S7MD60 (60 ft2 filter area) with an optimal performance of 60-90 GPM. On sale at inyopools.com for $399.99.

Pentair Dynamo Aboveground Pump Model DYNII-N2-1 two-speed and 1 HP motor with a 52 foot head max and at 20 foot head of 85 GPM rate. At Poolcenter.com for $249.97.

I appreciate any comments on this combination, especially those stating obvious errors or wrong assumptions.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please review my Pump and Filter combination.

Yes, that looks like a good match.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,

Was just concerned about the 1HP. People always talk on here about only needing a 3/4, but after looking at the flow rates needed and the flow curve it definitely looked like 1 HP was necessary.

Again, all the great resources on here definitely helps! Thanks to all who contribute and ask questions. Many of my questions were answered by others.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it is generally a good idea to go to a 1 HP when you have a two speed, but better to get 3/4 HP for a single speed. When on low speed the HP doesn't matter as much, and then you have a little extra when you go to high speed. On a single speed you want to save all the electricity you can, so getting a larger pump ends up costing you in the long run.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School