Filter leaking at backwash pipe

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
Hey all -
Things have been going well this yeah. So well, that this is my first post

I back washed my DE filter last weekend for the first time this year. (It didn't need it until then). When I looked at it today, there was water leaking out of the "Backwash pipe". I tuned the valve handle from "lock" to "open" and back a couple times, but it didn't seem to affect the flow.

Anyone have any ideas to what's happening here? Do I need a new valve installed?

Looks like you need a Jandy valve rebuild kit. Replacing the O rings will likely solve your problem. Remember when assembling it to use some silicone plumbers lube or specific silicone pool equipment lube.

Here is some how to video - - > Google

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease small.jpg
    Silicone Faucet Grease small.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks folks!!

One more question. I just pulled the valve out and the bottom O-ring was broken. Should I put the good O-ring from the top onto the bottom for the time being? Or will that just cause water to leak from the top? I was thinking/hoping that the seal on the screw top cover might keep it sealed. Probably not though.

If you have it apart you can always give it a try. Maybe it will leak less ??

For a very temporary repair you might try an automotive parts store (autozone, Oreilly, ...) as they usually carry an assortment of O rings in a box behind the counter. Not sure they'd have one big enough but if they did you'd only need to buy that one. Just don't count on it holding up.

You can get the grease at a hardware store or big box store (HomeDepot, Menards, ...).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your support is much appreciated, thank you.

It's a great feeling to get in there and repair something yourself. :super:
Soooo much cheaper too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.