replace bearings vs new motor?

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I think that after just 3 years, my pump motor bearings may be going bad (brand new motor 3 yrs old). I am hearing a loud whining sound coming from motor. Already replaced the impeller and seal, but that did not help. My question is, if I don't have a bearing puller, then by the time I buy the tools needed, plus the bearings themselves, I will have about $100 into it, and seems I can get a new 1hp motor for around $150. Is it worth the hassle to replace the bearings?

Also, if I replace motor, the last one I bought was US Motors from Leslie's and I just read a bunch of not great reviews on these motors. Should I get an AO Smith, or does it matter?

Ok, that is good to know. So, other than the bearings, is there anything else that can cause a loud whining noise? Almost sounds like metal rubing metal at high speeds. Hate to go through the trouble to replace them, and have that not be the issue.

That's a Very common noise when front bearing goes bad. Not sure why you replaced impeller instead of following advice here but for the above poster, I'd focus on doing a bearing replacement (along with seal/o-rings). I've rebuilt mine twice now on my 12 year old pump.

That's a Very common noise when front bearing goes bad. Not sure why you replaced impeller instead of following advice here but for the above poster, I'd focus on doing a bearing replacement (along with seal/o-rings). I've rebuilt mine twice now on my 12 year old pump.

Where would I be able to buy bearings and seals to replace for a noisy Jandy 1.0 hp Stealth SHPF pump? Any recommended online shops? Or go local?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.