Use drain unblocker to lower pH?

Jul 11, 2013
Oklahoma City
I need to lower my pH a little, it's 7.8, alkalinity is fine, I've read that muriatic acid is the way to go, unfortunately I'm having trouble getting any locally, many store have decided that now the schools are back that everyone must be closing their pools:rolleyes:

So, I thought, can I use drain unblocker instead? The ones that are hydrochloric acid based, as I understand it, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, so in theory it should work.

I thought I'd ask the experts on here first though!

Is there no Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace hardware store nearby? Lowes and Home Depot carry MA in the outside pool section, and everyone carries MA in the paint department, all year around. The paint department version may be a lower concentrate than the pool area version, so make sure to check to know how much you need to use. I would not use drano or any other drain cleaner at all, ever. They contain things like aluminum flakes, surfactants, etc., to cut thru grease and to make the chemical reaction happen, and I would not put that in my pool.

I've been buying the liquid chlorine pool bleach from Walmart, went there yesterday and they have got rid of all the pool stuff, according the associate, someone purchased everything...so an entire isle purchased...they must have a big check book!

Went to HomeDepot, they don't have it, and what pool supplies they do have are covered in dirt and in sun bleached packing, Ace Hardware don't have it, haven't tried Lowes yet though.

Thanks for the drain cleaner info, I know HCI is a major ingredient, didn't know about the other stuff, so yep, it won't be going any where near my pool now.

My ace has acid but not where you can get,to,it off the shelf or in the warehouse. They have you order it when paying and someone brings it out when you drive around back now. They indicated that they changed the policy because of,their insurance company....

I've been buying the liquid chlorine pool bleach from Walmart, went there yesterday and they have got rid of all the pool stuff, according the associate, someone purchased everything...so an entire isle purchased...they must have a big check book!

Went to HomeDepot, they don't have it, and what pool supplies they do have are covered in dirt and in sun bleached packing, Ace Hardware don't have it, haven't tried Lowes yet though.

Thanks for the drain cleaner info, I know HCI is a major ingredient, didn't know about the other stuff, so yep, it won't be going any where near my pool now.

Muratic acid can be found in the paint section of almost all big box hardware stores. Not in the pool section per se

Muratic acid can be found in the paint section of almost all big box hardware stores. Not in the pool section per se

My Home Depot carries it outside near the fencing (this store doesn't carry any pool supplies). Two one-gallon jugs in a box (their own HDX brand). The boxes at my HD were dirty, but the contents were intact and pristine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.