Screaming pump

Jun 18, 2015
Madison, AL
OK. I'm pretty sure that the bearings on my pump motor are going out. The motor just started screaming. The motor is a 1 HP Regal Beloit EPC. Is this an easy repair? I'm fairly handy with tools. I do most of my own vehicle repair and maintenance. I found an article on replacing the bearings on a Hayward Super Pump that indicated that the bearings must be pressed on and off. I don't have such a press. If this is needed, do I need to go to a pool store or a machine shop? Is the press something special unique to pool pumps?

Or would I be better off just replacing the motor?

Thanks.

I can't speak to specifics about a Regal Beloit but if you do find out the bearing need to be pressed most auto repair shops have a hydraulic press on hand. Once you know if you need a press you might try calling a couple local shops or drop in with the motor to see if it's something they'd do for you.

You can also look up electric motor re-builders in your area and get a price on having them do it all to see if DIY is even worth it.

There should be a plate with a bunch of information on it including the motors model and serial number. Those can be used to cross it over to different manufacturers. If you post the info someone here should be able to give you options.

I'm not sure but I think Regal Beloit is just the motors manufacturer and it's not the brand of the pump. Any chance the pump housing has a different brand name on it ?? Hayward, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Jacuzzi, ...

Might be a good time to go with a two speed motor. Depending on your electric costs they can pay for themselves.

I ordered the new motor, received it on 8/17/16, replaced the bad motor, and the "new" one just died today. Warranty is 12 months. :mad::shock: Well, #$%!

So... what would it take to replace it with a 2-speed? Can I just replace the motor and timer? I found a 2-speed with the same frame. Can I just bolt it on? Will a 2-speed save me enough to justify the extra expense ($133 difference in the motors from one source)? Our electricity is pretty cheap. Around $0.12/KWh.

Side question... what would cause a motor to go out that quickly?

Forgot about extra expense of timer. That would add roughly another $100.

Last edited:
Can you be a bit more specific about how it died ?? Knowing what happened to the current motor is important so it doesn't happen to a replacement. There is always the option of taking the bad motor to a re-builder.

Myself I'd go for a two speed. I can't say how long it would take to pay for itself but it will. Why would you need to replace the timer ??

Can you be a bit more specific about how it died ?? Knowing what happened to the current motor is important so it doesn't happen to a replacement. There is always the option of taking the bad motor to a re-builder.
The bearings are screaming, just like the original motor failure. My pump leaks a bit. It's always leaked a little, but I thought that the motors were sealed. I'm thinking now that they may not be. Where would I find a re-builder? The original motor, which I still have, probably just needs new bearings, and maybe brushes. If I could find a rebuilder, I could likely get both of my motors rebuilt for far less than a new one.

Myself I'd go for a two speed. I can't say how long it would take to pay for itself but it will. Why would you need to replace the timer ??
The current timer is an Intermatic T104R, I think. Whatever it is, it's a simple 240V timed on/off switch. It has no ability to control two different speeds. Can I use my current timer for now, using the motor in single speed mode only, and upgrade later? The immediate need is to get the pump going again.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.