New saltwater heated pool advice needed

I'm building a 13x40' pool (size driven by space constraints). We want saltwater, heated, and inset a spa on one side and a small sunledge than steps on the other side. Also doing Quartz or pebble, auto pool cover, able to make changes to pool on iPad, auto fill. What other features should I ask for? Any advice on pool coping and patio? We like blues and greys. Pool will be in sun most of the day. We have 6yo boy. Also any ideas re how to save money? Estimates are coming in very expensive. Thoughts on Quartz vs pebble? Will that save me a lot?

Welcome to TFP!

We saved over $15k by deleting the spa. Our PB suggested that we add a stand alone spa. We installed a stand alone tub on a covered patio for about $5500 bucks. It is more comfortable, energy efficient, covered so great in rain/snow, closer to the door, always hot. It also makes your pool plumbing much simpler.

Quartz costs a little less than pebble usually and lasts 15-20+ years. Pebble will last 25+ years. Water chemistry management is the biggest driver for plaster longevity. Poorly managed water can result in plaster, quartz or pebble needing to be resurfaced in as little as 5 years. Properly managed it can add a decade or more to the number above. Even plain old plaster can last 20+ years with properly managed water, but it is less forgiving. A reputable name brand manufacturer is worth the extra cost. Pebble Tec, NPT or Wet Edge are some of the top brands. They will stand behind your product even of the PB does not.

Are you in for the price of the autocover? $12-15K. Great to have though. One note is to not have a sharp corner on the interior corner of your interior spa. If it is it can abrade or tear the cover. I'd probably be interested in a rolled edge spa to reduce friction as much as possible.

It's easy to spend money on pools and often hard to save any. :D My suggestion would be to cut the length of the pool down. 40' sounds like a great length, but 32' or so is also great and may save you some $$, especially if the greater volume requires upsizing pool equipment. In a freeze/thaw area, you would be well served to see a number of 5-year old installs to check patio materials. It's possible that concrete slabs are the best bet and can be stamped / stained to give greater character.

Be sure to get 3+ local, qualified bids and see some of the excellent build threads to know what questions to ask. Install prices vary greatly by builder and market, so it pays to shop around and get it done right the first time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.