Aug 14, 2016
Darlington MD
My salt level has been fine since early May after opening. I check chlorinator almost every day. 4 days ago reading was very low salt. I have put 40 lb of salt in 3 consecutive days still says very low salt. Tested water, chlorine level nearly zero as no chlorine has been made for 3-4 days. Water still looks good, not cloudy but I got desperate and dumped half gallon of bleach in pool to get some chlorine in it. Should I just wait and keep putting more salt in if salt reading continues to be low?

Welcome to TFP!

It takes about 2 days for salt to fully dissolve and mix in. Brushing helps to speed it up. Do you have a salt test? Does the SWG give a ppm reading?

Yes, you should always maintain FC above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], with bleach if the SWG is not keeping up.

Don't have a salt test. SWG does not give a ppm reading, has a red light that flashes for low salt and stays solid red for very low salt. Still solid red. according to owner's manual, SWG analyzes salt level on startup and every 12 hours. However, Swg is turned on 24/7, I was thinking of turning breaker off and back on to maybe get a new reading.

Figured I needed 5 40 lb bags to get to 3500ppm, just put in #4 and #5 so hopefully tomorrow salt will be ok. seemed strange for salt to get that low all of a sudden, but it has been in the high 90's and mostly sunny for a week. I've been running generator at 80% and filter for 10 hrs a day lately.

md,

One of the signs of a failing SWG is that it will keep asking for more salt, even when the salt level is very high. Some pool stores will test SWGs. You might want to take it out and get it cleaned and tested.

Jim R.

You can also purchase salt strips locally (Walmart, Home Depot, pool store) to check your salt balance. I find that the strips read a little high from my SWG, but they are in the ballpark. So if my SWG reads 3000 ppm, the strips might read 3300. But it's a good item to have in your toolbox if your SWG doesn't give you a reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today all the lights are green (normal) on SWG, indicating it is making chlorine. Put more bleach in as chlorine level is still not up. Guess it's wait and see if it maintains. Still going to get cell cleaned, don't know if I'll do it myself or call in a pro.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.