No Chlorine - SWG or Something Else??

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
Hello all!

Our SW pool hasn't been holding chlorine for 2 weeks now. We have had to fill from hose due to heat, evaporation and kids swimming and also we have had a few heavy downpours. I'm at a loss as our numbers are good and the water is clear - a minuscule bit of cloudiness at the deep end but otherwise clear and sparkly.

Salt 2800
FC 0.5
CC 0
TC 0.5
pH 7.8
TA - didn't test for this today
CH 220
CYA 35

We did not clean or inspect the salt cell this season (we are in New England and only run May-Sept) and hubby says we shouldn't have to. What do you think is the issue? The cell or the SWG itself? How would I know? Any help is appreciated!

CYA is definitely too low and therefore not protecting the FC well enough. However now that you are seeing some cloudiness also brings the concern for excessive organics in the water. Before you raise the CYA to 70, you might want to consider performing an overnight (OCLT) test just to rule-out algae. Pass the OCLT to rule-out the need to "SLAM" and raise that CYA to help get you through the remainder of this season.

Your numbers are *not* good with that FC at 0.5 with a CYA of 40 (we round up). Your CYA is too low for a SWG, and if you didn't have one you should be striving to keep your FC at 5. See ...right here it says so -->[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

First off- where are you located? Sunny clime or rainy northwest? Please add that to your profile blurb over on the left side <----- Thanks! It really helps us answer.

How are you testing- do you have one of the recommended test kits? (Either TF-100 or K-2006)

Have you read how to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to determine if there are organics in the pool eating up your chlorine as fast as the SWG is making it? Here are the instructions--> Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If your water is slightly cloudy you need to get on it using liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") . Use Pool Math to help you know how much to use. You may have the beginning of an algae outbreak and it may require you to SLAM the water .....SLAM Process

Try to get on it fast though, as you might catch it early and it will be a fast fix.

Holler back with any new questions :)

Yip :flower:

Addendum: dang it Pat! You're too fast for me...! :wink:

It would also help if we knew what % of output your SWG is on and how long does the pump run.

As the temperature and use goes up, you have to adjust the % and/or the run times to compensate for it.

With a CYA of only 35 you will need to run that SWG pretty hard to keep up.

Jim R.

YippeeSkippe said: Your numbers are *not* good with that FC at 0.5 with a CYA of 40 (we round up). Your CYA is too low for a SWG, and if you didn't have one you should be striving to keep your FC at 5. See ...right here it says so -->FC/CYA Chart
** I know the 0.5 is not good and am flummoxed as to why the CYA level we typically have is not doing it's best now. My pool typically runs at 40-50 CYA with no issues and maintains 2.5-3. We don't want it higher and if there is a higher than typical bather load, we always shock.

First off- where are you located? Sunny clime or rainy northwest? Please add that to your profile blurb over on the left side <----- Thanks! It really helps us answer.
** NH and we are under a drought watch as well as very hot days 90F+

How are you testing- do you have one of the recommended test kits? (Either TF-100 or K-2006)
I have the TF-100 and have had this for 6 yrs now. All chems are new; within 6-8 months old and the CYA reagent is just 3 weeks old.

Have you read how to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to determine if there are organics in the pool eating up your chlorine as fast as the SWG is making it? Here are the instructions--> Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
*Yes, and have done in the past but this was a sudden down drift and the "cloudiness" is really just when we look at the drains in the deep end (9ft) and may or may not be figments of our imaginations - we have some staining around the drains also. The rest of the pool is crystal clear.

If your water is slightly cloudy you need to get on it using liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") . Use Pool Math to help you know how much to use. You may have the beginning of an algae outbreak and it may require you to SLAM the water .....SLAM
*Water has never been cloudy to the point that I have had to do this; in fact, when issues have happened in the past, it was typically due to adding water/evaporation/CYA loss and we have never had an algae issue in this pool (thank you pool Gods)

Try to get on it fast though, as you might catch it early and it will be a fast fix.

Holler back with any new questions

Thanks!!!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Jimrahbe - we have it set at 30% and the filter and SWG run 12 hours a day :) Thanks you!

- - - Updated - - -

Chris.weakland - the TA is actually crashed at 30 :eek: I have never ever had it crash this low but given the high temps in NH and evap. and need to fill/top up constantly, I suppose it makes sense......

- - - Updated - - -

LFranknow - We just added enough CYA to hopefully get it up to 70-80. This high range scares me as we know if it goes over and up, it's time to dump. I have always had a good stable pool with it at 35-50 and the SWG at 25-30% Must be our weather here in NH that I've been neglecting to compensate for? Thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

I took a sample to the pool store this afternoon. Interestingly, all numbers jived with mine with the exception of teh Ch (?) Their test showed my Ch at 123 while my test was 220 and, I have brand new R0012 re-agent. So.......now I'm thinking I might go ahead and get some chems to raise that a wee bit as I can play with 80 or so (bringing my test to 300)

And THANK YOU ALL :)

The first weekend in August usually starts up the SWG panic season. Been there done it, this year I am in much better control.
I also used to keep my salt pool cooking with cya levels around 30 - 50 and never had a problem....... until we get two weeks of 90 degree days.
How are you making out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.