A heads-up for TFP newbies about bleach

Lois

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
Spokane, Washington State
I'm sure this has been discussed on here someplace before, but I just wanted to post a quick warning....

Do not make the mistake I did earlier this summer. This product labeled SPLASHLESS BLEACH is NOT what you should be using. It is NOT just a thicker formulation of regular household bleach. Whatever it is, it is way less concentrated, so requires more, and therefore is a waste of money. Also, it has surfactants in it so it foams up.

Don't waste your time and money like I did.....:(

Yep, I get 8.25% bleach at Kroger, store brand. I buy muriatic acid, salt and stabilizer at Lowes. Also, 20 Team Mule Borax at Kroger. That is all that goes in my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best thing for comparing apples to oranges is the chlorine price per oz calculator. Bleach comes in different sizes and concentrations and the best way to figure out what you're paying and which one is a good deal is to use this calculator - - > Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

I get mine at a big box store and it's 12.99 for 4 gallons of 12.5%

So I'm a newbie if there ever was one. Just yesterday I picked up 'The Home Store' brand of bleach from the Dollar Tree ( just because it's right by my house) but now I think I need to take it back. It doesn't mention the % so I'm skeptical.

So I'm a newbie if there ever was one. Just yesterday I picked up 'The Home Store' brand of bleach from the Dollar Tree ( just because it's right by my house) but now I think I need to take it back. It doesn't mention the % so I'm skeptical.

Per a thread from 2015, it is probably 3% or less.

If it doesn't list it on the label you should do an internet search for the MSDS (material safety data sheet). It will be listed in there.
Any bleach, laundry or pool is ok to use as long as it's not scented or the easy pour/splashless. Doesn't matter what strength other than the lower the strength the more you have to carry to the pool and add each time.
For value you need to use the calculator to find out how much you're paying for the chlorine itself no matter the strength or size jug. The calculator will even out different strenghts and sizes so you have an apples to apples comparison of "The Home Store" to Walmarts to 12% from a pool store or whatever you find at a grocery store or big box.

Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

- - - Updated - - -

What % of calcium chloride do you buy? What is the source? Will the de-icer type work.

De-icer type :confused:

walmart often sells "pool chlorinator" 10% bleach for $2.50 - 3 a gallon
Lots of threads here talking about where to get bleach cheap

$2.50 when on sale. Worth looking for but a lot of the more northern stores are running out and not restocking.

Attachments

• bleach 10 percent at walmat sm.jpg
    bleach 10 percent at walmat sm.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 148

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.