South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

My pool has nearly three times the surface area of yours and with a 1" drain line it has no issues keeping up.

Yours would be perfectly fine if it actually drained somewhere

Thanks, Brian. How/where does yours drain? And is it from the skimmer or from the shell wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the skimmer to a 3" drain line that goes out to the curb...An actual drain!

The 1" line is probably 50' long

Being from the desert, the only time we've ever worried about "drains" was when we drained the pool for some reason (maintenance, dumb owner, etc). But, this would seem to be one of the best ways to go to me. Another thought that comes to mind is whether there is an accessible clean out for the home sewer line nearby to tap into? That might save the run from the back yard to the front, if so, and an acceptable solution. (probably not the best idea with a septic system though)

We have a canal (poor mans like) in the back of our property where the elevation is lower than the pool drain. It's probably about a 30-40' run. That would probably be best but we'd most likely need to do it discretely. The run to the front of the house would be a chore, it's a good 100-150'.

One thing you do need to check into before thinking about the reroute are local (county and city) ordinances as well as any HOA rules (if applicable) regarding the discharge of pool water. Some local codes (and HOAs) prohibit the discharge of pool water into public places or into wetland areas (like your canal). Here in AZ, many HOAs prohibit backwash directly into the street or storm drains and so you must use a sewer clean out. That's the only reason I can think of for you PB to have routed the overflow line to discharge under the pool shell.

We enjoyed the pool, and the start of the landscape, this weekend. We figured out a weekend schedule for the pool/spa that worked for us, but it was very manual. In order to get the spa heated while also using the pool during the day, we switched our manual spa bypass valve for pool return circulation and then cutover to spa mode when we wanted to hop in the spa. This helped keep the spa water at max temp while still providing pool circulation. The catch is that I have to dial down our pump as the higher spillover pump speed literally blows 2 of our returns out of the pool wall. Should that be happening? I dialed it back from 3,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm and it still happened. About 1,500 rpm was the sweet spot to keep them in while maximizing water flow.

And is there a way to set up a setting through the Pentair automation to drop to this speed when I cutover the bypass valve? Or just have a different pump speed setting in general? It doesn't look like there are any "pool settings" in screenlogic (on my phone).

Here's a good shot from the weekend post vacuuming. I also got a decent shot that shows the spa tile colors. Still irrigation ditches and dirt everywhere. I am hopeful it looks much different next weekend.

f81a0b8d7e9dc0a885b2bed501253613.jpg

0e7d791127e4ac7f7bf247f69bdaa35f.jpg

Grumpie,

I only use my PC when programing.....

As far as pump speed, you can just set up a feature circuit for whatever speed you want. One click of the feature circuit icon on your phone and the pump will go to that speed.

Jim R.

Grumpie,

I only use my PC when programing.....

As far as pump speed, you can just set up a feature circuit for whatever speed you want. One click of the feature circuit icon on your phone and the pump will go to that speed.

Jim R.

Ah ok perfect. Similar to what Brian walked me through to setup a circuit to turn off our spillover. I'm liking putting an actuator on my manual bypass valve more and more! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Honestly, this weekend was a turning point where I thought about just leaving it as is. If it weren't for the marker tile, it would be a much easier decision. I really strongly dislike the dark grey grout on the tiles. It looks like dirt and mildew buildup next to the white plaster. It also takes away the real pop of the individual tile colors. The marker tile being done right looks sooo nice and really becomes an accent to the pool. I know this because there are some areas of full plaster overspray and it's perfect.

For the plaster, would I like it darker? Yes. Can I live with it as is? Yea I think I can.
Landscaping should be done by mid week so I'm going to reassess once I see the finished product.

Here are quick late afternoon shots of the marker tile. Where they didn't wipe the plaster off the grout versus where they did. In the sun it's even more strikingly different.

The only other option is to chisel off the excess plaster on the grout, but I'd rather it not be grey so I might just drain it a bit and break out the white-out pens ;)

2e9b5007b5ccc71ae4d7a468568c4a91.jpg

dbc9aba8442f087e8750d20900119212.jpg

Man I was all ready to say "let is stay like it is" then I was the difference :( yeah it quite striking how the grout and plaster changes the look of the tile. Could they drain the pool and use a tiny tool to take the grout out and put some plaster in place??? Yeah I know I grasping at straws here :(

Kim:kim:

Man I was all ready to say "let is stay like it is" then I was the difference :( yeah it quite striking how the grout and plaster changes the look of the tile. Could they drain the pool and use a tiny tool to take the grout out and put some plaster in place??? Yeah I know I grasping at straws here :(

Kim:kim:

Could they, yes. But they said it would be tough to get a really consistent blend between the added plaster and the existing plaster. And then they run the risk of chipping tile and needing to do even more plaster repair if tiles need to be replaced. And if they are draining the pool, might as well do the refinish.

The only real quick fix they offered was to chisel the oversprayed plaster off the grout, but that's working in the opposite direction of what we'd like addressed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.