South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: New Build - South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living

Our design is officially finalized. I will share once we get the plans from the CAD operator. Due to some issues we ran into with our original design, depth profile, and step code, we decided with a geometric design. Everything happens for a reason though - we like the design better and it offers much better deck space. Here are the specs:

114 LF
630 sqft surface area
17.5x33 excluding sun shelf
8x12 offset sun shelf
6x8 spa

As you may have seen in my other posts, the sun shelf will blend/extend into the first pool step. Because of this, we had to either go 6-7" deep on the shelf or "17-18" (if we made the shelf the second step). We chose 6" since we have 3 little children (2.5 yo boy and 6mo boy/girl twins). Ideally we would have liked 8-9" but we compromised to keep our design. We will also have 3 bubblers, one for each child ;) so 6" should be better for bubbler settings.

I did some more research on our pool equipment and am asking the following questions to our PB:

Pentair Intellichlor IC40 - how much to upgrade to IC60?

Pentair CC320 cartridge filter - is this undersized for our pool? How much to upgrade to CC420 or CC520?

Automation - How much to upgrade from Easytouch 4 to Easytouch 8?

Spa spillway - currently a 36" spillway with marble spillway. Any difference to widen spillway to 60" and use tile for spillway? We chose NPT Jules Rustic Blue blend for exterior of spa, interior of spa walls, and stairs, shelf, and bench markers (2 offset 1" strip lines)

Since our permit was already approved with the wrong depth profile, I am hoping our amendment will get through the city quickly. I'm desperately praying for a Christmas completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things are moving along! Any pictures of the updated design? I understand what you mean about having to change to accommodate your design. We added an extra step to get the heights we wanted and ended up liking the feel of them better. Easier on the knees. Lol. Can't wait to see your progress!

Things are moving along! Any pictures of the updated design? I understand what you mean about having to change to accommodate your design. We added an extra step to get the heights we wanted and ended up liking the feel of them better. Easier on the knees. Lol. Can't wait to see your progress!

Unfortunately my PB doesn't use a pool design software but does offer blue print overheads and then the final CAD operating drawings. I'll grab a screen shot of the blue print later today to share.

See overhead blueprint design. Red is the pool design and patio layout. Orange is the 16x40 covered patio. Each square is 1'x1'. If I have learned anything from Kim in the last couple of months, it is to consider where our 2 LED lights go and what direction they point. Honestly, I am a little stumped on that one given the layout (spa away from house, covered patio attached to house, and sitting area to right of pool. Thoughts?

29595028605_a6e427b5f9_z.jpg
[/URL]Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 9.09.41 PM by fsubk, on Flickr[/IMG]

What changed your mind from a freeform?

Brian, our original free form design was a problem with the city with the sports depth profile we wanted. The steps were too close to the center deep end of the pool/drain. Our PB overlooked the requested depth (they actually had a traditional shallow to deep profile) when drawing up our plans which was unfortunate and a red flag. In addition to that, we kept going back and forth on location of the pool to maximize decking, as you know from when we were asking for help with alternatives. My wife and I were never able to come to an agreement on the free form options. I liked one and she liked another. At the end of the day, the geometric solved most
of our design challenges. I'm a CPA by trade, so deep down I think I knew a geometric pool was for me.

I like it.

Was the issue with the city that the transitional depth was too steep?

Thanks, Brian.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was a proximity issue. The closest point from steps to middle drain/deep "end" was less than 10' or something approaching that dimension. Since our design had the sun shelf in the middle with the stairs blended into it, our PB suggested cutting the stairs 2' shorter which looked drastically different and would have also impacted the function of the shelf/step combo, which is an important feature for our kiddos.

Looks great!! I like the final choices. For your volume, I don't know if it is necessary to increase to IC60. The larger filter is nice but not a necessity, IMO. I would definitely have the EasyTouch 8 vs. 4 - no question about it. For lights, AWAY FROM THE HOUSE and anything after that is preference. For your spa, I might put the break the rule and put the light facing the spillway, otherwise someone is looking at the light while seated in the spa. On the spillover, tile is least expensive, but keep an eye out for how well it is installed. Small cracks can be bigger problems with constant flow. I would suggest a single surface (granite, corian?, marble), especially if you get a remnant price.

Thanks, Kevin. I will keep that in mind as an option for the spa spillover. We are going to have glass mosaic around the full exterior of the spa vs stacked stone or other stone material so I am struggling with how that would look. I think my contract includes a 36" marble spillway, so if we go that route it's a matter of understanding what the up charge is to 60".

What do you mean exactly regarding light location? For the light in the spa, face it towards the spillway/house? That makes sense and there should be be much glare beyond spillway wall. But what about lights in the pool? Would you put one on each side of the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Tell me a little more about what is what...........I know the spa is middle, back. I see the steps (NICE design!) on the right. So I am guessing the large area by the steps is the sun/play shelf????

What is the "bump out" on the front, left side?

If you put a light IN the spa the "wall" will help block the light from shining in eyes so you can put it anywhere you like. I kind of like the idea of a light in the bottom shining up (not sure you can do that though).

Will work on other two lights when I know for sure what the areas are.

:kim:

Tell me a little more about what is what...........I know the spa is middle, back. I see the steps (NICE design!) on the right. So I am guessing the large area by the steps is the sun/play shelf????

What is the "bump out" on the front, left side?

If you put a light IN the spa the "wall" will help block the light from shining in eyes so you can put it anywhere you like. I kind of like the idea of a light in the bottom shining up (not sure you can do that though).

Will work on other two lights when I know for sure what the areas are.

Kim you are spot on. The 8x12 area by the steps is our sun shelf. The bump out on the left is a bench/swim out. Hope that helps clarify! Certainly not the best graphic to depict the pool but it's a start.

Okay here I go.....any chance for lighted bubblers?

If lighted bubblers then one light over by the swim out BUT not in the center as you do not want it in the swim lane.

If no lighted bubblers then two lights. One by swim out like above and the other one on the right wall on the "second" step. My hope is it will be bright enough to light up the steps and shelf but not shine in eyes in seating areas.

This is where I am unsure....I do not have nor have I seen these kinds of lights so do not know just how bright they are or how far they throw their light. Maybe you can go visit a couple of your PB's other pools at dark time to see the different lights.

Thanks Kim. We do have a nicheless Pentair globrite LED planned for the sun shelf. And then two Pentair Intellibrite LEDs planned for the pool. Lighted bubblers are an option but I think it will wind up costing more upgrading from standard bubblers to colored led bubblers and removing the globrite.

If I kept the globrite, are you saying to do offset lights on each side of the pool pointing to the middle? Just not centered in the middle?

pool lights.jpg

Here is where I was thinking. I added the third light you talked about on the shelf. I put a 1 by the placements I like the best. I put a 2 by the second pick BUT really do NOT like the light on the left facing the house (you know why after reading my ideas already LOL)

See what you think.

View attachment 54355

Here is where I was thinking. I added the third light you talked about on the shelf. I put a 1 by the placements I like the best. I put a 2 by the second pick BUT really do NOT like the light on the left facing the house (you know why after reading my ideas already LOL)

See what you think.

I'm not a huge fan of the one on the stairs on the right. I think it might make one stair much brighter than the others and the light may not travel as far beyond them. I think I like option 1 on the left and option 2 on the right. As for the shelf, do you think the globrite centered and facing the spa will cause issues? Is it essentially the same as the other lights?

This is where SEEING the lights in action will be the most help. I have no idea how far they throw their light or how bright it is.

I do worry the light on the shelf pointing at the spa will shine in the eyes of people in the spa as they sit in the spa looking towards the house. Will you have a TV or anything like that by the house? I can see many movie nights in the spa. I am not sure how you will have the seats in the spa so that may not be an issue.

If you moved the light on the shelf more towards the pool that might work BUT I did not want it to shine in the eyes of anyone sitting on the steps.

There a +/- for any placement of the lights LOL You know what I am thinking. Use it and put them where you think they will work best for your family and lifestyle. I just wanted to give you ideas and tell you the whys of the placement.

Let me know what you decide! You don't have to use any of my ideas if they do not want to. It will not hurt my feelings.

This is about as creative as my CPA mind can get! And yes, I did this in Excel if you are wondering :cool:. This shows how the layout looks on our lot. As you can see, we chose the direction of the house vs. the lot to drive our pool location. The location leaves us plenty of room for play with the kids off to the side and in the back of the yard. The two trees in the middle of the yard will be removed, which will open up the yard even more.

29640783235_3770949b40_b.jpg
[/URL]Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.37.44 AM by fsubk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.