South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

We hit some ground water yesterday during the dig. They set up a pump to drain it until they come back on Monday. But we definitely woke up to more water in the pool. Will see what the PB says about this on Monday.

572d507c22ab6a662369c9b1c21588a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to go swimming! LOL I don't think there is enough chlorine in this world to get THAT clear!

Are you sure the pump is running/working? Either way a text to the PB may be in order so he is not caught off guard with the amount of water in there and set you back.

Kim:kim:

I checked the pump. It doesn't seem to be draining anything but I did text the owner earlier in the morning as a precaution, playing a little dumb. He didn't seem concerned as they will be here tomorrow morning.

Good news and bad. I came home from work to the hole drained, the frame up and 80% of the rebar completed. Good progress for day 2. The problem is now that the form walls are up, my concerns about the location are more evident. The pool does not appear parallel to the house. The far side of the pool seems further from the house and patio columns than the near side. Since we have a pie shaped lot and the far side is wider, I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, but from every side I look at it from, it seems off. I wouldn't say it is drastic (maybe 6" to a foot off from one side to the other), but i notice it and it is a rather straight lined design so I am worried it may be evident once complete. I've tried to measure, but I just can't reasonably access the inner walls with a solid measurement. My wife thinks I am crazy (and I am most of the time) but I have an uncanny sense for direction and balance (I am a cpa, after all).

Will they be able to correct this during gunite if it really is off? Or is this something that would require re-doing forms and rebar?? I don't have a good picture to share, but will try to get one in the morning. I'm dreading bringing this to my PB's attention. Maybe I'll get my patio builders opinion first.

Any advice?

Code Red. Call the PB now and bring this up. It is 100% reasonable to expect a geometric pool to be square to the house. He is likely paying contractors to do this work and can easily ask them to correct this, but needs to know your concern. They need to adjust the forms and rebar. The gunnite crew is just going to follow the rebar, so something needs to change now. Worst case is he takes measurement to confirm you are crazy :)

Code Red. Call the PB now and bring this up. It is 100% reasonable to expect a geometric pool to be square to the house. He is likely paying contractors to do this work and can easily ask them to correct this, but needs to know your concern. They need to adjust the forms and rebar. The gunnite crew is just going to follow the rebar, so something needs to change now. Worst case is he takes measurement to confirm you are crazy :)

What they said. I DO understand not wanting to bring this up but it needs to be done NOW! If the rebar and forms are not right your end pool will not be.

:hug: you will get through this and have a wonderful pool when it is done.

Here are some progress pics from this morning. This stage is rather uneventful.

9d03d8a8fd447a12339b7204bfeb0b85.jpg

0bd6bdc8ed7d0aa75dd72c34615368ba.jpg

00cae66a08b4f70657408f42f1227c83.jpg

cdc34a99e167da22fe1529cd8ab9bf12.jpg

caf9619dd168144f61b56116a50b5cf5.jpg

152eaaf6b5cf3696e77fcdb7b700d3a5.jpg

I will ask my PB to remeasure when they show up, just to be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Brian, Definitely bring this up to the PB today. Not sure which pattern you are going with in your travertine deck, but any horizontal deck joints will follow the angle of the pool. The angle will become very apparent as the deck comes up against your house, IF you have horizontal lines in your deck.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. PB wasn't on site yesterday but I had a chance to speak to them when they showed up this morning. They also thought I was crazy but are going to appease me and take string measurements again just to be sure before going any further. Hopefully I am wrong. It is really hard evaluating it given both projects going on simultaneously with piles of dirt everywhere.

The plan is to finish rebar today and order an inspection for Friday (will likely be Monday given the holiday). On the patio side, beams may go up today if we are lucky. That will really start to give us a feel for the covered space.

Thanks everyone. PB wasn't on site yesterday but I had a chance to speak to them when they showed up this morning. They also thought I was crazy but are going to appease me and take string measurements again just to be sure before going any further. Hopefully I am wrong. It is really hard evaluating it given both projects going on simultaneously with piles of dirt everywhere.

The plan is to finish rebar today and order an inspection for Friday (will likely be Monday given the holiday). On the patio side, beams may go up today if we are lucky. That will really start to give us a feel for the covered space.

Will you be there to see what they do and find? I like the fact they think you are crazy but are willing to go the extra mile to ease your mind. Better safe than sorry on something this big! Good job!

Exactly. If they want our money, they need to deal with our concerns along the way, whether legitimate or not. I am trying not to watch over their shoulder or challenge their work, but if something looks off,
I am going to bring it up to give us peace of mind.

I was there when they started measuring but I needed to head to work before they finished. My wife was home and saw them take all measurements and then they proceeded to finish the remaining rebar work. I told the PB if the measurements all check out no need to call me and to proceed with their work, so I am assuming all is good. I am comfortable that it is now on record and I trust them. If for some reason the measurements are actually off, it's their problem.

So you heard it here first - yes I am crazy! All of the measurements checked out within a 1/4". I'm going to blame it on the pie shaped angles of our lot and our infringing landscape ;)

Rebar, main drain, bubblers, light housings and skimmer are in. Due to the holiday, our inspection is set for Monday of next week. What else happens between now and gunite? I'm hoping we get shot by the end of next week.

Everything looks great but I am not sure about the bubbler location. With an 11 foot wide shelf, I was hoping to be able to fit loungers in between the 3 bubblers. The way they laid them out will not allow for that (less than 2 feet in between each). How hard of a change is this?

I really like the depth profile and how the 3.5' shallow end is no more than 5 feet before sloping to our "deep end" in the middle. The slope is very reasonable too. I must also say, I am excited about our grey fittings. I know, it's the little things!

7af31b9abf65241aa85ba933dce0cb10.jpg

e05e059f831535bfbe2a79cd405a5e8c.jpg

80618d14dd3f3047e659b7efc11cfeb0.jpg

031df44caaa6b54200347674cb9c7029.jpg

3f30f0253ba3c921cb568be3c985a3ee.jpg

ec06f614a91484a51d2b9a7911474d8d.jpg

ffb121f25be76366ad66f4373c7d9f39.jpg

HI Crazy! My name is Loco! :rolleyes: Better safe than sorry! With the yard shape, dirt all around, landscaping I DO see why you were unsure! I bet your wife is loving it! "I told you so!" ;)

I am not sure what happens between now and then. Each PB does things their way so.......there is no telling what will be done. What else needs to be done?

shelf and bubblers........that should be an easy fix. Did your PB know your plans for the loungers? If not please tell him and see what he says. BUT in my eyes I am not sure I would want the bubblers on if I am sitting on a lounger due to splash up from them. Just something to think about. BUT on the flip side do you want to have to move the loungers when you want to turn on the bubblers.........hummmmmmmmm yeah they need to be moved. I wonder if you would be better off with just two bubblers?

Try this......use a water hose laid out like your shelf with can acting as the bubblers. Use large towels as the loungers. Now have fun figuring out where the bubblers aka cans should be. Let us see what you come up with! (as if your wife does not already thing we all are crazy LOL)

:hug: things are going great so far! Your PB is doing a good job with the build. I like his style.

Try this......use a water hose laid out like your shelf with can acting as the bubblers. Use large towels as the loungers. Now have fun figuring out where the bubblers aka cans should be. Let us see what you come up with! (as if your wife does not already thing we all are crazy

Even better, I can use the hose as the bubblers to get the full effect! In all seriousness, I have an idea of what I would like, but the details weren't specified on our plan. I guess I assumed they would ask me my preference but really that's on me. The good thing is this is the only thing I could see that wasn't specified that might get done differently than I'd like.

We were planning for 2 chaises/loungers that are about 2 feet wide. With 1 foot of space in between them, that would put the two outside bubblers about 1.5 feet from each lounger and 1.5 feet from the shelf wall. Not sure if that is too close to the shelf wall or not. I'll have to revisit some of the other builds with bubblers that I liked and see how far they were spaced. The middle bubbler isn't a problem since it is towards the front of the shelf and would only be on our feet and not obstructing either chair.

Thinking about this some more, a good compromise would be to somehow have the bubblers on different valves or a toggle valve. That way if we have chairs in there we can just keep the middle bubbler on. And when the kids are playing in there without chairs, we can have all of them on. I wonder if and how that would be possible?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.