South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - Demo Phase

as we get ready for our dig next week, i am revisiting our plans and triple checking everything. One thing I dont know much about is our plumbing. Here is the schematic from our plans. Does this look normal? Any concerns?

Pleasant surprise. PB showed up today to lay the frame of the pool. And our dig has been bumped up two days to this Saturday (for now).

A slight modification was needed to the layout at my request, so our PB will submit a revised plan alongside construction. This worked out well as I was able to add a handful of items on my wishlist without slowing down permitting again: a second skimmer, a tri jet spa seat, and a bench on the far side of the spa.

51d2f697f86a4086e325214b03d31a2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footers for the patio were poured yesterday and the new columns (12x12) are going up and our privacy wall is being extended to 16' today. It is starting to get fun. I wish I could stay home, but I am sure everyone involved in the build is better off with me 30 minutes away at work. It is just my wife that needs to suffer as our resident "project manager" with photo updates via text throughout the day ;)

We have a "dig party" planned for tomorrow. Going to set up our living room with a table for our 3yo son with all of his toy trucks and tractors so he can watch while we watch college football, and the dig of course.

So I need some help TFP family! And quickly. I got home tonight and I see a potential concern ahead of our dig tomorrow morning. Our sun shelf is not centered in between our patio columns.

Our pool design was intentionally such where our shelf and spa were offset. But now that the patio columns are built, you can see clearly that the shelf is not centered between the posts from the living room and patio. It almost looks like we mismeasured the pool! To center it, I would need to shift it about 2-3 feet to the left.

I'm curious does this need to be addressed prior to the dig tomorrow, or could we reassess after the dig and then correct this at the gunite stage? I'm not 100% sure I want to change it because the shelf spa offset will be lost and it will then almost look like those weren't measured. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can't tell in the pics above but you can see it mildly in this pic below before the cinderblocks were stacked (look at the rebar in the footers as compared to the inside of the pool layout wood framing).

464f0c19d63d179653d3d4bde18ad01e.jpg

Good catch!!! Now go out with your plans in your hand and a note pad to take VERY good notes. Use your tape measure to make sure everything is the correct size-length, width, etc.

NOW is the time to fix it!! Make it like YOU want it. It is VERY easy to move those boards. MUCH harder to undig!

Take lots of pics and keep us in the loop!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Those pics! Oh my how cute are they???????? LOVE them! Makes my heart smile! :sun: He is going to remember "helping" dig the pool forever!

So what did they say about the placement?

So what did they say about the placement?

Thanks, Kim! I'm sure you've heard this tons of times, but it's so nice having a personal cheerleader in your corner! While this process is certainly fun, it is also full of decisions and stress. Having help along the way makes all of the difference.

As for the shelf changes, I discussed it with the PB contact the minute the excavator showed up. Of course, he couldn't make that call and would need to talk to the boss (the owner) and it will likely require a plan change (with a fee). We trimmed the shelf enough that any fee will be offset by linear feet cost reductions. He understood my concern and said they would overdig so we could make the necessary changes before gunite. So it has been communicated and we should be all set.

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

Saturday digs are awesome! Here's a shot from upstairs in our master bedroom. The shade should be gone in an hour or so and then you'll be able to see the depth better.

8bd3bd4077089310b920b2dd131c7d57.jpg

Day 1 is in the books. Completed the dig and about half way done with framing it in. Should I start measuring now or wait until they finish the framing on Monday? There is a good chance they finish framing and add rebar the same day. Besides dimensions, anything else I should be thinking about now?

004abb2401d68e50c17de6d840c66b4c.jpg

0c26df54aefdee7fb3cd05d699fce9d9.jpg

I loved the excavation sub. Company name was Pierced Earth and their logo was a skull and crossbones with excavator arms. The guy was exactly what you would picture for the job - a little scruffy, all black outfit, jamming out to heavy metal on the rig. How precise he was with such a machine was impressive.

36eaa48ec506fe8ace9551851e3195db.jpg

ed5657272554d98c14f09f003be5ef56.jpg

ec9b866fbbc2f9acacb785fa379bab93.jpg

e1bcec68a5bdeddf3a3a50060a8cdd2f.jpg

You can do a spot check on width, depth, length, size (making sure it is big enough, it might be too big right now).

After the rebar is when I want you to really measure it. You will add about 6 inches for gunite and plaster.

Since you have a cutie in your world you might want to pick some of these up:

Shop Blue Hawk 25-Pack #3 to #8 Plastic Rebar Safety Cap at Lowes.com Better safe than sorry.

I LOVE to watch a big toy driver do their thing. It is like a dance how they are at one with the machine.

I LOVE to watch a big toy driver do their thing. It is like a dance how they are at one with the machine.

Funny, when all the kids went down for their 1pm nap, my wife and I just sat in the living room and I said - "isn't it so therapeutic watching them dig?". Then we proceeded to nap ourselves.

I measured the boards before the dig and they were spot on and that is where the pool frame walls are going. I will for sure measure again tho. A couple of questions:

How exact should the frame be in terms or angles and direction of sides? Our sun shelf entrance wall doesn't look parallel to the patio and house and one angle on the far side of the pool (we have ~45 degree angles on opposite ends of the pool) is off. Does this get remeasured and addressed at gunite or does it need to be addressed before finalizing the frame?

How much depth should we add at the bottom of the pool to estimate depth? It appears way deeper than what our design is just eyeballing it (we are going 3.5/5/4). See the pic below. And how much distance is typically between water line and decking? I've been estimating about 4" in all of my estimates.

959f2633568f5076d34d4d3b8ac5aaad.jpg

How exact should the frame be in terms or angles and direction of sides? Our sun shelf entrance wall doesn't look parallel to the patio and house and one angle on the far side of the pool (we have ~45 degree angles on opposite ends of the pool) is off. Does this get remeasured and addressed at gunite or does it need to be addressed before finalizing the frame?
I wouldn't be worried yet as the rebar will define the actual pool walls and angles. They will likely adjust the forms before starting rebar. They probably wandered a bit on the dig, which will cost the PB more gunnite.

Yea it definitely seems they wandered. Our length is about 2 feet longer and width 1 foot wider after accounting for forms and 6" of gunite on each side. If it ends up actually playing out that way, I'm not complaining!

It is hard to measure for sure right now. You can ask how big the dobies (sp? the things they put under the rebar to hold it up off the bottom) are and add that to the 6" the gunite and plaster will add. BUT the 6" is a guess as well. Some use more gunite depending on what they are doing and thinking.

The angles of the forms should be close but it is the rebar that do it for you in the end. I would ask about the areas you pointed out to make sure they are even close to where they should be. Better to point out than not. NOW is the time to fix or tweak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.