South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: New Build - South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living

With the rain we've had this past week and hurricane Matthew on the way, it is a blessing in disguise that we don't have a huge hole in our yard yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the rain we've had this past week and hurricane Matthew on the way, it is a blessing in disguise that we don't have a huge hole in our yard yet!

Oh yeah, all that water would cause cave-in's in our sandy soil for sure! Not to mention the potential projectile missiles (steel and wood) laying around. We asked our PB to clean up the remnant pile of PVC, tile and coping today for that exact reason.

Not taking any chances with a Cat 3 or 4 storm.

Best of luck and stay safe!

coping question. I asked the PB about what exact size travertine coping is included in the contract and what the cost would be to use the larger rectangular coping (12"x24" or 16"x24"). They said included was 8"x8" or 6"x12". If we wanted to go to the much larger coping it would be a sizable increase in cost as gunite pool walls would need to be widened to support the wider coping. They said the max size we could go with planned gunite shell is 8"x16" laid end to end and it would run us about $500 more (go figure) than the standard sizes for 114 LF of coping. Does the info regarding widening the pool shell for larger size coping make sense? And does the $500 upgrade to go to 8"x16" seem reasonable? Thanks for the help.

We finally got both permits approved today! It is "approved" in the county system so it will likely take a few more days to issue the physical permits, but at least we know we are moving ahead now. What a long process permitting has been. Our first pool permit application went in on 7/1 and our lanai covered patio application went in on 8/29.

Our travertine has been ordered (went with ivory color in french pattern) and we have tree removal and relocation planned in the next week. Hopefully we can start having some fun with progress pictures.

7b7b31b4f3bf9ec0dcd63aa7ce807a05.jpg

Entertainment for days...

PB says it's $600 to get all fittings swapped out (main drain, returns, skimmer, spa jets, umbrella holders, etc) from white to grey. We have 4 returns, 1 skimmer, 6 spa jets, and 3 umbrella holders.

Thoughts on cost? Felt like a lot to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - Demo Phase

You mean he already bought white ones?
That seems like a lot but I suspect those things add up quickly. Skimmer is probably $75-100. Main drain is probably another $75.

No sorry, i should have been more clear. They have white in stock. So the net change in cost to me is ~$600 after credits for the standard white.

I did some research and it just didn't add up. Called the PB to clarify and the $600 was before credits for standard equipment. So the total difference shouldn't be more than $150-$200.

I figured as much. The more I learn, the less I like my PB. Everything I have asked for has been an issue, be it cost, permitting, or time delays. I often hear "you're the only one whose ever asked for that". I just hope the build is as nice as the ones I've seen from them and from recommendations. Unfortunately I think my references were "sign it and step back" owners and I'm just not that type of person.

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - Demo Phase

Overall I was impressed with the cleanliness of the demo. Footers get poured tomorrow. Our pool dig date is currently scheduled for 11/21. Hoping to have the frame of the new covered patio up before then.

6c8bc5a19de511225af2030bd838aab5.jpg

We are active and play sports (volleyball and basketball) but we aren't going to be swimming laps. We have 3 little kids also (all under 3). We will typically have 6-7 people in the pool as our parents are often over with us at our community pool now. Our entertaining will mostly be done under the covered patio (orange in the photo). There is a considerable distance from the far side of the pool where these benches would go and the house (about 40 feet) but they would be the only option for benches looking back at the house/patio. Also, should we opt for the extra benches should we expect much of a cost increase?

Brian we have 2 large benches in the deep end of our pool and they are used a lot by both adults and kids, we wished we had more. Our grand kids use them a lot especially now that they are swimming on their own.

Brian we have 2 large benches in the deep end of our pool and they are used a lot by both adults and kids, we wished we had more. Our grand kids use them a lot especially now that they are swimming on their own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.