South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: New Build - South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living

We love our benches - and our kids especially love the back bench we have going the length of the pool because it allows them to follow us even where they can't reach. I would put a bench that ran all the way from the deep to the shallow and right in front of the spa if it were my pool. It's still swimable area, the kids will love it, and it's a conversation area where people in the pool can hang out and talk to those inside the spa. My $.02 FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for adding a bench. :) Especially in the deep end. As you know, we have a very similar layout (pic below) and the deep end bench just seemed natural since our spa was jutting into the pool anyways. Plus there is an added safety factor with two benches in the deep end, while the little ones are learning how to swim.

We decided against adding a bench to the shallow end side of the spa since our shelf and steps were taking up a good amount of our shallow end.

Have you measured and marked the pool layout in your backyard? That really helped us make the final decisions on dimensions once we physically saw the swim space we had.

DSC_0464.jpg

We received our official plans today (no change yet for bench decision). See below. Please let me know if anything looks problematic.

The red arrows are likely where I will relocate the lights. I may leave the main pool lights in the middle (not completely decided yet) as we do not plan on swimming laps at night and that may offer more light coverage vs the offset view. Should we keep them in the middle, it still offers a narrow swim lane on the far side of the pool by the spa without directly swimming into the light. How brite are the Pentair globrites if I choose to keep it as designed in the shelf facing the spa? Will it provide a lot of glare in the spa looking back at the house? I am concerned that moving to the side of the shelf may reduce light coverage with 3 bubblers in the immediate direction of the light.

29734762391_c8638095cd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also, should we opt for the extra benches should we expect much of a cost increase?

Our contract said "benches per plan" and our PB said we could do the benches however we wanted with no change in cost. We went on the heavy side. Our PB said his gunite guy didn't charge him extra for benches. I don't think that is a standard approach. In fact, after shooting our pool and because of our pool, his gunite guy changed his billing practice to specify an amount per linear foot of bench space for future builds. So our timing was fortuitous.

That is a good question about the light and bubblers. I wonder how they would affect the light????

Maybe make sure the light is not right in line with them?

Do think you will ever sit in the hot tub and watch TV at night time? I guess you could turn that light off but that is my main worry about the light looking right at the hot tub.

:kim:

Kim, my builder suggested I relocate it to where I had it. When we get ready for construction I will revisit it to be sure it won't lose its effectiveness with the bubblers. Also, PB confirmed that the spa light won't be a problem from the house. Although I have seen that a problem in a thread or two here so again I will double check at construction.

Two other questions I have about my plans. Is 1 skimmer sufficient for my pool? I've seen many here with 2 for about the same size pool. And what about running my bubblers on the pool/spa VS pump? We are going to fight like anything to find a setup that works to get out shelf to 8-9" vs 6" so I want to be sure we are getting enough power to the bubblers. Many here have separate pumps for water features, should I be asking about that?

Water features should always be on a separate pump. If you don't, you won't be able to use any of them while the spa is in use. You will also be limited on the other things you can run simultaneously.

An additional pump really is a small expense and very worth while factoring in the entire expense of the project.

An additional pump really is a small expense and very worth while factoring in the entire expense of the project.

Thanks, Brian. I better understand now. Would the dedicated pump also provide more pressure/power to the bubblers? I want to make sure I am getting the full bubbler effect in 9" of water. And this statement about small expenses, seems to be the motto of the build. I must have added $10K in cost through small expenses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Plan on 15k more in small expenses!

A dedicated pump would definitely add to the pressure since there won't be a filter or heater in the loop (very restrictive) and the plumbing will be more of a straight shot.

any thoughts on the plan for 1 skimmer with 4 returns? We do not have any trees with leaves (all of our pool side landscaping is palm trees) but do have quite a bit of mosquitos and gnats in the area due to a canal behind our property line.

You should be fine with one skimmer but a second wouldn't hurt. How much is the upgrade?

When I asked today PB did not offer a price. Said that they add a second skimmer for pools >800sqft per code. I left it alone as one skimmer will seem to do the work.

When I asked today PB did not offer a price. Said that they add a second skimmer for pools >800sqft per code. I left it alone as one skimmer will seem to do the work.

My pool is approximately 13,900 gallons and I have two skimmers. Very glad I went with two. I also have one of my returns ON my sunshelf to help push off the debris.

Our contract said "benches per plan" and our PB said we could do the benches however we wanted with no change in cost. We went on the heavy side. Our PB said his gunite guy didn't charge him extra for benches. I don't think that is a standard approach. In fact, after shooting our pool and because of our pool, his gunite guy changed his billing practice to specify an amount per linear foot of bench space for future builds. So our timing was fortuitous.

Our PB had the same policy, said anything inside the walls of the pool was no extra cost.

We just have the one skimmer, but also have the screen enclosure. Maybe I should have added the $500 skimmer and skipped the $12k enclosure. Lol.

Ha! I'm not getting my hopes up of avoiding the enclosure for the long term given our bug problems.

I didn't add the second skimmer, yet. I am sitting on my hands right now because every question I ask yields the following response from the PB: "we can do that but it will require revising the permit application". I love my PB but I feel like they want everything perfect in the permit, and it is inevitable that something else will change along the way. I've now been in permitting twice due to the design changes required and I don't want to delay this project any longer. While I'm sure it's not the best approach, I will bring it up again when the project starts and we review plumbing and see what happens. Worst case I just stick with the one skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.