South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Beautiful pool Brian...my build starts on Thursday! What color is the plaster? Love the water color...

Beautiful pool Brian...my build starts on Thursday! What color is the plaster? Love the water color...

Thank you! It's Premix Marbletite brand, Marquis series (Quartz aggregate), in Sapphire color. We also added 5 bags of small black stones to darken it. It is basically as dark of a blue as you can get without choosing a dye based finish (or pebble/glass). We wanted to stick with a white base to avoid minimize streaking and mottling as much as possible. Another option which is probably close is Diamond Brite Super Blue.

Note that almost all phone and computer screens show water color slightly darker than actual. But in certain sun it does look nice and dark blue.

Hi Brian!
I finally caught up with your thread...I'm so sorry for all the troubles you have experienced. I know how that feels :( Irritating, frustrating, anxiety-producing...

I was reading through your posts and when I first saw your new plaster job, my first thought was "Wow! That looks just like mine!" I WAS SO SUPRISED (and honored) when, just a few posts further down, you had posted a picture of my pool as your target color!! I think you nailed it!!
Your pool and landscape turned out GORGEOUS!!! As was previously mentioned by Suz (I think), it looks very much like a resort!
Your children are adorable and I love the baby fence!
I highly recommend puddle jumpers for the little ones. All my grandkids wear them. I have seen them at Walmart, Sam's and Costco.
Have a great Memorial Day party! My family is all coming in from out of state for Memorial Day weekend and the following week. About 30 people including all the kids. So far, our weather is not looking very warm,but we still plan to have the pool heated and available.

Blessings to you and your family!

Thanks, Nini! Good to hear from you! I will definitely do some sun dances for you as well.

All of the hard parts are behind us and it's about enjoying our family time. Happy Memorial Day weekend to you and your family visiting!

Appreciate the reply Brian...I have considered DB but I don't get warm fuzzies from what I read about it so Im considering Stonescape...any thoughts on SC?

Appreciate the reply Brian...I have considered DB but I don't get warm fuzzies from what I read about it so Im considering Stonescape...any thoughts on SC?

Where are you located? Stonescapes, Florida Gem, Diamond Brite, and Premix Marbletite are all very close competitors here in South Florida. From what I understand, some of the chemists have moved from one place to the other over time, effectively replicating the product with some tweaks. I believe this to be the case DB -> Florida Gem.

I really liked the Wet Edge Quartz aggregate and color selection, but they are out of the west coast and there are only a few licensed applicators here in all of Florida. Our PB could not reasonably provide it without a huge cost increase.

Where are you located? Stonescapes, Florida Gem, Diamond Brite, and Premix Marbletite are all very close competitors here in South Florida. From what I understand, some of the chemists have moved from one place to the other over time, effectively replicating the product with some tweaks. I believe this to be the case DB -> Florida Gem.

I really liked the Wet Edge Quartz aggregate and color selection, but they are out of the west coast and there are only a few licensed applicators here in all of Florida. Our PB could not reasonably provide it without a huge cost increase.

Sorry I stand corrected. I was thinking Quartzscape, not Stonescape. Both are made by NPT. Stonescape is a more cost effective pebble alternative as I understand it. But I can't speak to the quality of the product. Sorry.

Cooling the pool..................https://www.amazon.com/Splash-Pools-30700-Waterfall-Fountain/dp/B0026MTCOU/ref=pd_sim_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0026MTCOU&pd_rd_r=135D0J36S6BX9TGDMJC0&pd_rd_w=umg3d&pd_rd_wg=F8Aps&psc=1&refRID=135D0J36S6BX9TGDMJC0

Run it at night and it will help cool the water. You can also run it in the day to help cool and it is just plain fun!

Just know it will push your PH up BUT it is so worth it!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim. We are still on 24 hour spa spillover (5 foot wide) for the first 30 days of startup. I would think that would do the trick but it's just that hot and humid here south of you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Good morning! We have been getting slammed here with tropical storm like rains for about the last 12 hours. Easily 4+ inches. I am happy to report that our gutter flex drain and deck drain worked very well. Only a little buildup of water at the deck drain for a few minutes here and there during the heaviest rain. Our sod drainage also performed well which was nice given I'm not a huge fan of the sloped sod to accomplish such draining. Lastly, our raised mulch berm did wash down a bit towards the pool, but our aluminum edging separating the berm and the rock bed held everything back. No soil or mulch reached the deck whatsoever.

Of course the storm dumped a ton of leaves and debris in the pool, which is pretty uncommon for us given the lack of hardwood trees in our yard. The good thing is that our salt gets added today and we can officially start vacuuming again. Just in time for the big party on Saturday.

I also promised some glamour shots, so here is a teaser before the weekend cleanup. This is our zero lot line side of our covered patio build which we turned into an outdoor living space. For scale, that's a 70" LED tv. Everything looks small as the wall is massive (16 feet).

e19f3e032814d6f33025ddbc408879e5.jpg

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Good morning! We have been getting slammed here with tropical storm like rains for about the last 12 hours. Easily 4+ inches. I am happy to report that our gutter flex drain and deck drain worked very well. Only a little buildup of water at the deck drain for a few minutes here and there during the heaviest rain. Our sod drainage also performed well which was nice given I'm not a huge fan of the sloped sod to accomplish such draining. Lastly, our raised mulch berm did wash down a bit towards the pool, but our aluminum edging separating the berm and the rock bed held everything back. No soil or mulch reached the deck whatsoever.

Of course the storm dumped a ton of leaves and debris in the pool, which is pretty uncommon for us given the lack of hardwood trees in our yard. The good thing is that our salt gets added today and we can officially start vacuuming again. Just in time for the big party on Saturday.

I also promised some glamour shots, so here is a teaser before the weekend cleanup. This is our zero lot line side of our covered patio build which we turned into an outdoor living space. For scale, that's a 70" LED tv. Everything looks small as the wall is massive (16 feet).

e19f3e032814d6f33025ddbc408879e5.jpg

Very nice. Did you purchase a cover for it for our driving Florida rains? Can also protect it from the creepy crawlers[emoji106]

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Thanks. How long have you had it for? Ours doesn't ever get wet, it's easily 7 feet in from our roof overhang. So it would really be more for protection from humidity and bugs. Does it help at all with blocking humidity? I'd be concerned that keeping it covered would make it worse from that perspective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.