South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

What does a Quartz based plaster job of our size (~17k gallons) cost? To a homeowner and to a PB? New vs refinish? I was guessing somewhere in the $5-8k neighborhood for me to hire someone to refinish the pool? Am I even in the ballpark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PebbleTec Caribbean Blue

The surface plaster layer is bleached to a light grey. The bulk of the plaster is the original color.

Mind you, all plaster does this. There is no avoiding it unless you use dangerously low levels of chlorine. Even then, the UV from the sun is enough to bleach plaster color as well.

{TFP Overlords now regretting "Expert" badge designation and reviewing By-Laws to see how easily it can be revoked....}

I guess they can take it away... I've yet to get my first paycheck anyway :scratch:

Brian, Did you offer to blast it for him??? LOL
Kim:kim:

I cringe to think of what a cross country road trip on top of one of the most expensive finishes would cost! :deal:
I like your idea of full refund on plaster and be done. It may not be perfect vs. your original goal, but it is lovely.

I couldn't agree more. It's a beautiful pool :goodjob:

That's pebble. He was just trying to make a happy face in his spa

Whether it's quartz or pebble its still plaster and plaster just doesn't keep its color.

And they didn't even charge me extra for the happy face...WINNING!!

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

What does a Quartz based plaster job of our size (~17k gallons) cost? To a homeowner and to a PB? New vs refinish? I was guessing somewhere in the $5-8k neighborhood for me to hire someone to refinish the pool? Am I even in the ballpark?

That's probably in the ballpark

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

I was just playing. I really do have the A team along for the ride with our build and appreciate every ounce of help. Once we get through this plaster issue, it will be COMPLETE!

You have NO idea how happy I was to see this!!!! I was sitting here thing "how do we fix ALL of that????" LOL :hug:

- - - Updated - - -

Brian I meant blast the fountain LOL BUT think of the fun you could have couch hopping your way to go blast Grumpie's pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We finally got our screenlogic installed and had the equipment "training". I love the screenlogic app, super easy. The equipment training was uneventful, but they did confirm that the pool was built in a "spillover always on" fashion similar to our prior discussions. When I talked to them about manually cutting it off or setting schedules for such, they advised against it referencing backpressure concerns.

On a positive note, we can fire up the spa in a week! Surf and turf is on the menu tomorrow night and we may take our first official swim!

grumpie,

What the heck are "backpressure" concerns?

ScreenLogic... the only way to fly... Unless of course you are still using two tin cans a string like someone on this site... :poke:

Jim R.

Something along the lines of too much pressure running through the plumbing system when we manually (or by way of the spillover feature) shut off the water flow to the spa and run just the pool returns/main drain. I didn't push for more information.

Garbage. The only thing back pressure will do is cut your Electrical costs. Pay no attention to those guys and tell them to stay out of your backyard.

That's what I figured. I was going to do a little more research before I set up the schedules as such. But what's the point of a variable speed pump if you can't actually run it at lower speeds to cut energy costs?

They also said to keep pH around 7.8 and that the constant spillover aeration won't drive my pH up (I asked 3 times). Right....

That is partially true. Higher pH levels with a lower TA limits the impact of aeration in regards to carbon dioxide outgassing (the driver for rising pH).

There is much more to the equation than pH alone.

Our TA has been at 120-130 consistently since startup. Isn't that considered on the high end of the range at a 7.8 ph level?

Our TA has been at 120-130 consistently since startup. Isn't that considered on the high end of the range at a 7.8 ph level?

A TA of 120 with a pH of 7.8 is has over 6X the dissolved carbon dioxide content as what is contained in the air. Aeration allows the C02 to outgas which creates a net pH rise since it is trying to reach an equilibrium.

The same pH with a TA of 50 is only a little over 2X out of balance so the pH rise will be significantly slower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.