South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

grumpiebk: are you planning to seal your travertine? We have the same/similar travertine and I did a test sample a few days ago of Dry-Treat 40SK and although it did not add any shine, it seemed to have darkened it just very slightly. Seems to be getting lighter each day. My wife is not sure she likes it darker, so curious if you've looked at any sealers?

grumpiebk: are you planning to seal your travertine? We have the same/similar travertine and I did a test sample a few days ago of Dry-Treat 40SK and although it did not add any shine, it seemed to have darkened it just very slightly. Seems to be getting lighter each day. My wife is not sure she likes it darker, so curious if you've looked at any sealers?

Did you put an unsealed and sealed side-by-side and hit them with the hose? The sealed stone should bead up the water while the unsealed gets saturated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven't ruled it out, but are taking a wait-and-see approach. With our little ones, our first priority is traction. If unsealed is the least bit slippery for them when wet, or if we don't have serious dirt/mildew/weed issues while unsealed, we may just keep it as is. I like the lighter chalkier look and am not as much of a fan of the look of it when it rains. I also don't want to get stuck in a vicious expensive cycle of maintaining the sealer if it's avoidable. As much as I could probably do it myself, I'd rather higher an expert given the investment we've made in our deck if we decide to do it. And that will certainly be costly.

If we do it, we will likely use DuPont stone tech sealer. This was recommended both on this site and by a reputable travertine seller here in Miami - travertinemart.

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

We are getting PLASTERED today! For real this time. Nothing better than "working" from home on a Friday and getting plastered!

8 man plaster crew showed up at 8am with 65 80lb bags of material (pool is estimated at 16k gallons). And it is the correct material this time!

Their plan is to plaster most of the day with a same-day acid wash once it is dry. We are set for great weather here today, high of just about 80 with low humidity. If you saw my other thread about interior finish, I did ask the head of the plaster crew about going thicker if possible on the floors to reduce the shallow end depth a little. They said they will be going about 1.5" thick and if enough material remains can try to get up to 2", consistent with Brian's guidance.

Since they provided a pretty cool water filter contraption, I'm going to go with one hose only (originally I was planning on two). I'm thinking the pool will be full just around kickoff for The SuperBowl.

I am on my way to Dunkin now for wake up wraps (the lazy mans equivalent to homemade breakfast burritos) and OJ.

b2e1d76a6485f164e20958aec783b20c.jpg

6e81a13a6589d409a2fbda700c6ed217.jpg

cf4f0a7ae8ee912c623a5509ad2ccf35.jpg

Is there something wrong with your fill water? It would be best to fill the pool as fast as possible.

Their filter looks like it will slow down the fill significantly

Is there something wrong with your fill water? It would be best to fill the pool as fast as possible.

Their filter looks like it will slow down the fill significantly

Not to my knowledge. Our fill water test wasnt way out of whack as I understand. It is probably just a PB precaution. In the event that it takes a day or two to fill, what are the risks of it filling slower than faster?

Here are a couple of in progress shots. A white/grey quartz based aggregate certainly isn't as exciting as pebble pre acid wash, but you get the idea. The base is a hint of blue-green-grey which gives us more of a teal water color we are looking for. Will share pics of the quartz after acid wash.

For anyone interested, this is Premix Marbletite brand in Sapphire color mix.

5814bcd4d1ee49b5c0b1e82b2fcfd849.jpg

9e4cc172f99ccda35080f2b687f30743.jpg

Not to my knowledge. Our fill water test wasnt way out of whack as I understand. It is probably just a PB precaution. In the event that it takes a day or two to fill, what are the risks of it filling slower than faster?

Plaster needs hydration to cure and without being submerged is very prone to shrinkage cracks.

I would find out what the thought process is on the filter and how necessary it is. I would focus more on getting it filled quickly and using a quality sequestrant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Plaster needs hydration to cure and without being submerged is very prone to shrinkage cracks.

I would find out what the thought process is on the filter and how necessary it is. I would focus more on getting it filled quickly and using a quality sequestrant.

Brian, there is not a specific reason for the filter other than just precaution. The filter actually doesnt slow the pressure down much at all. When I asked the plaster crew about filling with a second hose, they said no problem so i have both in now after it filled enough to get the hoses to float off of the floor. The second hose certainly takes away the pressure from the first, but in total we are definitely getting more water.

I am concerned that we may be full by this time tomorrow and wont see the startup guy until Monday. So I am going to reach out to him ahead of time and let him know our estimated fill time based on my meter readings and estimated gallons per the PB.

I wouldn't worry too much about about the water once it's full. Your first priority is getting it full.

The pH of the water will be on the high side which is actually a good thing since your calcium hardness is relatively low.

If you have a test kit, take a sample and post up the results. I doubt anything will will be critically out of the norm.

I wouldn't worry too much about about the water once it's full. Your first priority is getting it full.

The pH of the water will be on the high side which is actually a good thing since your calcium hardness is relatively low.

If you have a test kit, take a sample and post up the results. I doubt anything will will be critically out of the norm.

Taking a sample tonight before full? Or once full?

We are at a flow rate of about 630 gal/hr. That's up from about 450 gal/hr with only 1 hose. I am estimating we will be full just about 24 hours from now.

We are about 11k gallons in, moving at a pretty good rate. Should be full by 5pm tonight. Overall I am happy with the plaster consistency prebrushing. I know it is very early and the color will change over time (especially the green tint), so I am hoping it will darken to the teal color we are hoping for. The extra foot and a half of water to go will help also.

c5fe07cc6ddf578702f4c825b10a002a.jpg

17a6494a75fb85020580c8d0a47f40d2.jpg

You are SO close!!! I can't wait to see the final color! I bet it is going to be pretty!

At least you knew ahead of time about the green in the water. Just think about the poor people who have not found TFP! "My water is green! :("

Looking forward to the cannon ball picture!

Kim:kim:

Nice look. Do note though that, after the 30 days when you add salt, the color will change. Salt tends to change the color of water very slightly but it's enough to notice the difference. So, what it looks like today will definitely not be what it looks like in 30 days. A good experiment would be to get a couple of high-res photos of the pool (can you stand on your roof?) at different times of the day with different lighting conditions and do some before & after shots. Just try not to fall off the roof....or at least make sure the life insurance is paid up if you do....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.