South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

Thanks. This quote is spot on: "The best time of year would have temperatures in the 50-75 degree range, with higher levels of humidity in the air." That sure seems to apply here!

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

I planned on working from home today for the interior finish process. Good thing I did. The person in charge of the finish process called me to inform me that the crew will be here today, walked me through the process and answered any questions I had. When I confirmed our product selection and also indicated that I was going to be home for the process, he seemed to hesitate a bit. He then continued to say to expect a very white color until it is acid washed. I pumped the brakes immediately as the selection we made is more of a gray base than white. He also mentioned adding "extra chips" which while it is a nice gesture, we specifically selected a product and color for a specific look. Adding more chips may alter that color. When I started asking questions, he put me on hold. When he came back he said everything was good and we hung up. Five minutes later he calls me back. It turns out that someone else picked up our order of our product this morning and the manufacturer did not have enough available to fill our order today. The initial option they offered was to use Diamond Brite or Florida Gem and "add extra chips" to get the color to match. He referred to "super blue" which is much different than the color we selected. Needless to say, I told him we will wait for the correct product and will need to reschedule. Ironically or not, the "super blue with extra chips" is what the PB was trying to push when we first signed our contract.

Somehow deep down I feel that if I wasn't home, and wasn't informed enough to ask questions, we would have received a different brand, a different color, and "extra chips".

I guess I am heading into the office now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you caught that!! My hubby kind of jokes and pokes fun at me bc I am asking tons of questions way beyond I guess "normal people" about specifics and also my concerns about the pavers having such a variance in color from batch to batch but ya know what, your story here is exactly why I am educating myself about everything so much. I think they likely prefer homeowners that are more passive and just trust whatever they say.... Gotta be an advocate for yourself and your money! Good catch!!

:shock: And THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ is why I say to be home for this part! I say go as far to LOOK at the bags to make sure they are the correct colors. WOW! You did good! Now what about the house/pool that is getting YOUR color as we speak????

:hug: so close yet so far

Kim :kim:

Good catch!

I've often wondered how much PBs try to "off-load" old inventory they have on jobs when they are signing up new customers. I have always assumed that PBs, like a lot of businesses, have to order some of their materials in bulk quantities that may or may not be used up. I've also wondered if PBs purchase equipment like pumps, filters, etc, in order to get the sales incentive bump back from the manufacturers without actually having a customer for the equipment lined up. Then, when they get a job, they try to offload what they have even if the customer is leaning towards some other product...I'm not trying to tar all PBs as bad-actors, but stuff like this happens all the time (and it's one of the reasons why a company like Amazon exists and can offer great deals) and I've got to imagine that the variability in the pool building world means that there is going to be some slack and bulge in the supply chain. Also, one can't expect that a manufacturer of certain types of products, like plaster and aggregates, will always have a stock of materials ready to sell. If you think your favorite supplier is gong to run short of equipment or materials mid-year, then there's a lot of pressure there to "stock up" in the hopes of booking work that will use it.

Just wondering...

Glad you caught that!! My hubby kind of jokes and pokes fun at me bc I am asking tons of questions way beyond I guess "normal people" about specifics and also my concerns about the pavers having such a variance in color from batch to batch but ya know what, your story here is exactly why I am educating myself about everything so much. I think they likely prefer homeowners that are more passive and just trust whatever they say.... Gotta be an advocate for yourself and your money! Good catch!!

Completely agree. I know i am a pain and not the typical customer. But you know what? I am footing the bill. A very big one at that. The minute before i signed our contract in the PB's office I said, "just so you know, I am going to be a real pain in the (butt) for you. Are you still sure you want me to sign?" So I've done a little CYA myself.

- - - Updated - - -

:shock: And THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ is why I say to be home for this part! I say go as far to LOOK at the bags to make sure they are the correct colors. WOW!

Yup. I was pulling out of our driveway to take my son to school at the exact same time I received the call and the shell cleaning crew pulled up. The material and mix truck wasnt there yet, but I told my wife to text me the minute they show up to do just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Good catch!

I've often wondered how much PBs try to "off-load" old inventory they have on jobs when they are signing up new customers. I have always assumed that PBs, like a lot of businesses, have to order some of their materials in bulk quantities that may or may not be used up. I've also wondered if PBs purchase equipment like pumps, filters, etc, in order to get the sales incentive bump back from the manufacturers without actually having a customer for the equipment lined up. Then, when they get a job, they try to offload what they have even if the customer is leaning towards some other product...I'm not trying to tar all PBs as bad-actors, but stuff like this happens all the time (and it's one of the reasons why a company like Amazon exists and can offer great deals) and I've got to imagine that the variability in the pool building world means that there is going to be some slack and bulge in the supply chain. Also, one can't expect that a manufacturer of certain types of products, like plaster and aggregates, will always have a stock of materials ready to sell. If you think your favorite supplier is gong to run short of equipment or materials mid-year, then there's a lot of pressure there to "stock up" in the hopes of booking work that will use it.

Just wondering...

I suspect with our PB that this is the case for the interior finish at a minimum. Nearly everyone I have spoken to in our community that has used them has said that the PB suggested "sky blue with extra chips", so I am not the only one. Either they have it in inventory, or it is much easier to get from the manufacturer (both Florida Gem and Diamond Brite produce their product here locally in Pompano Beach) which maximizes their margin. In fact, other similar quartz-based aggregate products we have asked for, including the one we chose, has had a small premium in price on top of their "standard finishes and colors".

Now what about the house/pool that is getting YOUR color as we speak????

Good question. It turns out no one is getting my order. I called the finish guy back on my way to work because I was a bit frustrated, and skeptical of what happened. I also wanted to know when to plan to reschedule my other contractors (landscape, irrigation, A/V etc.) around the new plaster date. I got to the bottom of the real story, and the guy was super nice. Turns out again, he is a sub. Our PB had ordered the wrong product (whether intentional or not) even though the installers were aware of the product we selected. They picked up Sky Blue and extra chips and headed to our house when I received the initial call. Their intent was to match the color we desired as best as possible with the product they picked up. Hence the reason for the hesitation when I told them I was home and started asking somewhat educated questions about our specific product. In all fairness, they could have got close with that approach as all of the quartz based plaster companies offer very similar products, but I paid extra for a specific product and color that I wasnt going to get. The proper product has been ordered and is being made (in Winter Springs FL). It will be shipped tomorrow and installed on Friday. Let's see if that tight timeline actually plays out.

What is this equipment for? It got dropped off today.
12818c3fe3dcd26036a7714f3f81c0f0.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks like a homemade filter setup. You said they were going to pre-filter your hose water, right?

Brian,

I'm pretty sure that was the last thing I saw, just before my Doctor said "bend over this table"... :laughblue:

Jim R.

It is certainly intimidating! Looks like they took half of my toilet parts and some scuba diving equipment. I can't wait to see the act that goes along with it!

Looks like a homemade filter setup. You said they were going to pre-filter your hose water, right?

Yea, but they made it sound like a filter cap would attach to the end of my hose and it was as simple as that. It does look like there is a float on it though, so maybe thats what it is. I guess we shall see.

Hahah I swear as I have been reading your journey and all, I swear we are exactly alike when it comes to educating yourself on this process and making sure you get exactly what you want and what you paid for. At least I know I'm not alone! Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.