South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - GUNITE PHASE

Turns out our plumbing to the pad is mislocated by about 3 feet as compared to plans. Usually this wouldnt be a big deal, but we had plans to use most of that encroached space for outdoor storage and our garbage cans. When I informed the PB of this, he responded that it needed to located in its current location due to the proximity of the electrical box on the side of our house (it is empty currently but was added by the builder for an eventual pool). The box is currently about 5-6 feet from where they put the plumbing that comes out of the ground for the pad. I am not familiar with electrical or plumbing code, so does this sound accurate? I want to make sure I am not getting the "I dont want to fix it" runaround.
Can you take a picture or describe what you mean by electrical box? Is this a sub panel for the pool? Some electrical equipment by code requires physical access (I think it's 3 feet), ex: I have disconnect boxes and inverters for my solar panels on the side of my house and therefore could not put the pool pad directly in front of these. I believe the 3 feet clearance is in front of the equipment.

Yes there was a sub panel installed when the house was built in the event a pool was built at a later date. You can see the plumbing in relation to the panel. My plan calls for a 8 foot long equipment pad (by 4' wide), so I don't see how they are going to make that work with the current panel location. Ideally, I would want the plumbing pvc moved 1 foot in closer to the panel (away from the pool) to allow for our planned storage.

de72b13182a67a0fcce658478aaed8c9.jpg

d952468094ce5a768d2b62d1c27a1255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse the poor picture and mess but from left to right is the pool/spa plumbing, then just before the bamboo tree is a grey sub panel box. To the right of that is just a white info box for the builders permits etc. There is about 7.5' on either side of the panel (we don't want to put anything in front of the window for obvious reasons). So I don't see how they are going to have a 8' equipment pad off the plumbing and still maintain a 3' clearance from the panel, unless the straddle it with 3' of space in the middle which I think would look bizarre and unacceptable.

If the pad is 8' long running along the side of the house, I would have expected the plumbing to come up further away from the house. I am used to seeing: house-->pad-->plumbing. So you would run the plumbing at least 4' away from the house to allow room for the pad (pad sits between house and plumbing). I wonder if he's thinking of running the pad perpendicular to the house (sticks out from house 8')? You want to have room to access the control panel. I think you have plenty of room for the control panel and I don't think it would be hard to move the sub panel over if you needed to.

Yes I was also surprised to see plumbing not parallel to the house, outside (from the house) of the pad location. I don't mind that layout, so long as I can use the space around it. I asked the PB to have someone walk me through it the next time they are on site, but they haven't been here the last two days as they are waiting on an inspection.

grumpie,

If the pool builder could fit all your equipment on a pad the size of a postage stamp they would do it. ;)

In my opinion, the bigger the pad the better. I asked my PB to space things out so that I'd have room to do regular maintenance and changes or repairs later on.

Your filter has a drain plug that you will need to be able to remove and re-install. Make sure you can do this without some type of gymnastic body position. Make sure that there is plenty of room between any valve and its associated equipment.

I like the idea of your pad being perpendicular with the house. This would allow you to get to both sides of the equipment.

Thanks,

Jim R.

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - GUNITE PHASE

It's been a couple of weeks. Not much activity from the PB until earlier this week. The covered patio is moving along nicely though. I've had a bit of regret with how big we went with the covered patio as it sucks up a lot of our ambient lighting in our living room and kitchen, but I am hopeful that once it is complete and useful I can look past it.

Coping and tile is in process now. Also we got our travertine pavers delivered - 13 crates full!

Kim, you might not be happy about this, but my wife came to you house and stole the key that you used to lock in our tile selection! And I'm glad she did ;) We changed to a NPT lightwaves aquamarine 1x2 subway tile for the spa and all marker tiles. While it is certainly not lightstreams tile, it is the closest for a much more reasonable price. And I am so glad we did. It has major Bling'age! It has hints of teal, green, purple, blue and gold and gives more of a modern look than our last selection. I can't wait to see once it is finished and cleaned.

Here are a bunch of in progress pictures

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - TILE PHASE

I wondered where that key went! LOL BUT with what you picked instead I am VERY glad she was able to find it! SO what will you spend the extra money you saved on?

I can't see the pics :( I am just getting a blue square. I wanna see please.

Kim:kim:

Kim, not sure the scoop with the pics. I posted from Tapatalk if it matters. I didn't actually save any money tho. We went from one NPT tile to another for the same price, but it got us a comparable lightstreams look.

I can see them now. I am on my tablet instead of the laptop...weird but oh so worth it. That tile is Sooooooo pretty!!!!!! BLING to the max! Wait until you see it with water in the pool and the sun shining on it :sun:

Kim:kim:

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - TILE PHASE

A couple of questions for current and next stages of the build:

Should I put a hold on watering the shell since they just tiled? And how much longer should I be watering for? It's been about 2+ weeks.

Is there anything I can do, or that I should be watching for as they prep to install the travertine pavers to ensure minimal to no future weed growth through the seams? I've seen neighbor pools from the same PB that have had to manage weeds with an unsealed deck.

What size coping is usually installed on a 6x8 spa? We received 16x24 travertine. I was surprised by the size, its huge. But it will definitely act nicely as a bench since it is an 18" raised spa.

Also I wound up with 8 sheets of leftover spa tile (8 square feet). Score! I am already thinking about how I can tie this into future tv wall or outdoor kitchen bar :)

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - TILE PHASE

That is so pretty, I am doing the aquamarine on my raised wall but in 2 x 2 and on my benches, steps and shelf. I am in the rebar stage right now. What color grout did they use?

Nice! We used light grey grout. It is a little more distinct now that it is finished and cleaned. I'll try to snap a pic when I get home.

We are very happy with the choice. There are almost no real photos of this product online. I was concerned it might look different once applied as most aquamarine tiles we have seen are greenish, but it was perfect!. A heads up tho, a straight on view in broad sunlight is a more of a pure teal/blue. You really get the metallic look from angles.

I originally wanted the blue lightwaves, but after seeing a sample, I thought it was too blue so I had the PB get me the aquamarine to look at and like that better. I am also going with ivory travertine bullnose coping 12" x 24". What color is your water line tile? I want it to go with the travertine so my 20 ft raised wall with the aquamarine will be my bling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.