South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

Yeah, probably not coordinated. As long as there is other concrete work besides the columns (decking?) then it doesn't really matter since concrete delivery will be back on site again.

Even so, my motto on those things is best not to meddle.

So the gunite is done! It seemed like a fast, clean job. We love how it looks. And I am happy with the size. I was afraid it was going to start shrinking on us. But it is perfect for our family and our yard. I don't ever think we wish we went bigger and will certainly never wish it was smaller.

We had a couple of minor misses - white umbrella sleeves in the shelf instead of grey and a missing sleeve in the far side bench. But the PB said these are easily fixable. The only noticeable concern was how steep the steps are at 12". From other posts on this site it may not be a huge deal but with the pool empty they look huge! I also immediately brought this attention to our PB before the gunite crew left. He assured me it's not as bad as it looks once water is in it.

As for the patio, the beams are up. Boy is the patio large! We unfortunately lost our full overhead view of pool progress due to the beams, but it is worth it to see our vision coming together!

Here are the pics:

33d790923db8cd689b1c50e1dc30d09a.jpg

7afd8f00885603c1922cc9cb2a2eaf5e.jpg

a8d6df4ee7bdf832609cf9732b049da0.jpg

8cecf3730890a13ea4c5347e351e25bb.jpg

780e7c351cc8388be8a246b75eca56d1.jpg

bc222b9ed4e93b35405c1c1b4c6844ca.jpg

2fe622fe08f61d1ed4b9a3439d0aa6be.jpg

45ff6bc4c3f9f3ff675bbcca79d58f15.jpg

1a54e623376ea396c8fac2b9dcc63c2c.jpg

9f5c7c010a63c30dab4f7912055804f3.jpg

3bff2e2ef86b67ac18200812b5dec1ce.jpg

d50dea17b5f56d1ae2f58463e980b911.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7" is a normal riser height for a staircase. 12" in a pool is very typical and should not be of concern.

The umbrella sleeves have collars that the plaster crew will install. These will be the colored portion that shows.

Thanks for the insight, Brian. It makes me feel a little better. I am honestly more concerned about the little ones being able to get in and out ok. I think it also is a bit deceiving in the pics because the bottom step is larger than 12" as it gets closer to the shelf (it's probably 10' end to end).

Looks great Brian! Awesome layout from the wide spa, wrap around steps, and the amount bench seating. Now that the shell is in, what do you think of the benches? From the pics, it looks like the perfect amount of seating.

- Alex

Looks great Brian! Awesome layout from the wide spa, wrap around steps, and the amount bench seating. Now that the shell is in, what do you think of the benches? From the pics, it looks like the perfect amount of seating.

- Alex

Thanks, Alex. We love how it all came together and I love the late bench addition. Our design was for a sun shelf that was connected to the steps, but not actually the steps themselves. So the wraparound stairs give a separate area to hang out from the shelf. Think kids on the shelf or kids on the stairs while adults can still do their thing in the other spot. Since we have the large covered patio addition, the far side bench offers some seating facing back to the patio and also an area where we often project movies and football games. It also gives some spa side seating and an access point to climb out of the pool to hop in the spa and vice versa.

I am anxiously looking forward to patio decking which will really tie the projects together. Right now there is concrete, dirt, and wood everywhere. But I guess that's par for the course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You want to keep it damp. If there's direct sun or a lot of wind it will dry out quicker and you need to spray more often. Two or three times a day is usually sufficient. A sprinkler can assist, but complete coverage is not assured. You're just trying to avoid the free water in the concrete matrix leaving to soon and causing shrinkage cracks. Keeping free water available for the hydration reaction is key as well. Concrete doesn't "dry" it "cures".

How frequently and for how long (each time) should I be watering the shell?

Thanks, Big E. My pool builders response when I asked if I should water it: a couple of time a week won't hurt. For some bizarre reason I like your more descriptive and technical answer!

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - GUNITE PHASE

Another Saturday morning surprise! Removing wood frame, backfilling, grading and digging plumbing trenches today. Also, the patio trusses and most of the plywood sheathing is up. Finally I can actually see the pool from our living room! Previously piles of dirt blocked our view from the patio footer dig.

b5656245a46174b1197731ea55923858.jpg

85159f08c9275cf3ca372f245186f54f.jpg

880392a08d9298f1de7b8b7dfdaa91f8.jpg

Curious, how does the PB clean out all of the dirt and gunite debris from the shell before plaster/finish? Is that what the hole in the gunite floor is for (not the drain)? These are the things I ponder as I bond with our pool.

It's been relatively unexciting the last few days. Plumbing and pool lighting electric was run. Coping (8"x16" ivory travertine) and spa tile showed up today so that's probably getting done before the end of the week.

9a100be63f18cd888b8bc314cf682b80.jpg

4e11c42a0105d85bcfae1b589dcd1fcd.jpg

9a328b27ed1f930d94ff21b110e84301.jpg

bb5ea0f87029a13e00e443c602720cfa.jpg

Turns out our plumbing to the pad is mislocated by about 3 feet as compared to plans. Usually this wouldnt be a big deal, but we had plans to use most of that encroached space for outdoor storage and our garbage cans. When I informed the PB of this, he responded that it needed to located in its current location due to the proximity of the electrical box on the side of our house (it is empty currently but was added by the builder for an eventual pool). The box is currently about 5-6 feet from where they put the plumbing that comes out of the ground for the pad. I am not familiar with electrical or plumbing code, so does this sound accurate? I want to make sure I am not getting the "I dont want to fix it" runaround.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.