Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

1. Back To Top    #181

TFP Guide

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

Yeah, probably not coordinated. As long as there is other concrete work besides the columns (decking?) then it doesn't really matter since concrete delivery will be back on site again.

Even so, my motto on those things is best not to meddle.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

2. Back To Top    #182

So the gunite is done! It seemed like a fast, clean job. We love how it looks. And I am happy with the size. I was afraid it was going to start shrinking on us. But it is perfect for our family and our yard. I don't ever think we wish we went bigger and will certainly never wish it was smaller.

We had a couple of minor misses - white umbrella sleeves in the shelf instead of grey and a missing sleeve in the far side bench. But the PB said these are easily fixable. The only noticeable concern was how steep the steps are at 12". From other posts on this site it may not be a huge deal but with the pool empty they look huge! I also immediately brought this attention to our PB before the gunite crew left. He assured me it's not as bad as it looks once water is in it.

As for the patio, the beams are up. Boy is the patio large! We unfortunately lost our full overhead view of pool progress due to the beams, but it is worth it to see our vision coming together!

Here are the pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

3. Back To Top    #183

SWEET! Love how it looks. Those stairs do look big. How much is a "normal" step?

Glad to hear the oppsies are easy to fix.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #184

In the Industry

7" is a normal riser height for a staircase. 12" in a pool is very typical and should not be of concern.

The umbrella sleeves have collars that the plaster crew will install. These will be the colored portion that shows.
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page @daviscustomconstruction

5. Back To Top    #185

Thanks for the insight, Brian. It makes me feel a little better. I am honestly more concerned about the little ones being able to get in and out ok. I think it also is a bit deceiving in the pics because the bottom step is larger than 12" as it gets closer to the shelf (it's probably 10' end to end).

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

6. Back To Top    #186

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    7"The umbrella sleeves have collars that the plaster crew will install. These will be the colored portion that shows.
    Will they just core drill the other holder that they missed today?

7. Back To Top    #187

Looks great Brian! Awesome layout from the wide spa, wrap around steps, and the amount bench seating. Now that the shell is in, what do you think of the benches? From the pics, it looks like the perfect amount of seating.

- Alex
    My build thread: -Central FL pool build

Gray Harbor Aqua Pearl Mini Pebble Pics - Gray Harbor Mini Pebble - Lots of Pics

8. Back To Top    #188

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    Will they just core drill the other holder that they missed today?

Or chip a hole... Either way no big deal.
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

9. Back To Top    #189

Quote Originally Posted by CCCentralFL View Post
    Looks great Brian! Awesome layout from the wide spa, wrap around steps, and the amount bench seating. Now that the shell is in, what do you think of the benches? From the pics, it looks like the perfect amount of seating.

- Alex
    Thanks, Alex. We love how it all came together and I love the late bench addition. Our design was for a sun shelf that was connected to the steps, but not actually the steps themselves. So the wraparound stairs give a separate area to hang out from the shelf. Think kids on the shelf or kids on the stairs while adults can still do their thing in the other spot. Since we have the large covered patio addition, the far side bench offers some seating facing back to the patio and also an area where we often project movies and football games. It also gives some spa side seating and an access point to climb out of the pool to hop in the spa and vice versa.

I am anxiously looking forward to patio decking which will really tie the projects together. Right now there is concrete, dirt, and wood everywhere. But I guess that's par for the course.

10. Back To Top    #190

The bigger the mess the more you will appreciate it all when it is done LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

11. Back To Top    #191

How frequently and for how long (each time) should I be watering the shell?

12. Back To Top    #192

You want to keep it damp. If there's direct sun or a lot of wind it will dry out quicker and you need to spray more often. Two or three times a day is usually sufficient. A sprinkler can assist, but complete coverage is not assured. You're just trying to avoid the free water in the concrete matrix leaving to soon and causing shrinkage cracks. Keeping free water available for the hydration reaction is key as well. Concrete doesn't "dry" it "cures".

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    How frequently and for how long (each time) should I be watering the shell?

13. Back To Top    #193

Thanks, Big E. My pool builders response when I asked if I should water it: a couple of time a week won't hurt. For some bizarre reason I like your more descriptive and technical answer!

14. Back To Top    #194

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - GUNITE PHASE

Another Saturday morning surprise! Removing wood frame, backfilling, grading and digging plumbing trenches today. Also, the patio trusses and most of the plywood sheathing is up. Finally I can actually see the pool from our living room! Previously piles of dirt blocked our view from the patio footer dig.

15. Back To Top    #195

Love the surprises! Getting closer!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #196

Curious, how does the PB clean out all of the dirt and gunite debris from the shell before plaster/finish? Is that what the hole in the gunite floor is for (not the drain)? These are the things I ponder as I bond with our pool.

17. Back To Top    #197

In the Industry

They'll scrape it off and wash everything down. It's not nearly as difficult as it may appear to be right now.
    -Brian-

18. Back To Top    #198

It's been relatively unexciting the last few days. Plumbing and pool lighting electric was run. Coping (8"x16" ivory travertine) and spa tile showed up today so that's probably getting done before the end of the week.

19. Back To Top    #199

Unexciting but oh so neat in that it is that much closer to being done!!!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #200

Turns out our plumbing to the pad is mislocated by about 3 feet as compared to plans. Usually this wouldnt be a big deal, but we had plans to use most of that encroached space for outdoor storage and our garbage cans. When I informed the PB of this, he responded that it needed to located in its current location due to the proximity of the electrical box on the side of our house (it is empty currently but was added by the builder for an eventual pool). The box is currently about 5-6 feet from where they put the plumbing that comes out of the ground for the pad. I am not familiar with electrical or plumbing code, so does this sound accurate? I want to make sure I am not getting the "I dont want to fix it" runaround.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast