New Plaster start-up

May 1, 2016
Abington, PA
New plaster start up. Filled the pool today and added the Jack's Magic Magenta. Just busted out my new TF-100 test kit along with the Speed Stir. Recorded the results and punched them into the pool math. First timer so hoping I got it right.

FC - 2.5
CC - 1
TC - 3.5
PH - 7.5
TA - 240
CH - 250
CYA - 0

Pool Math has given me several directions - bleach, acid, calcium chloride, and stabilizer. Being's this is a new plaster start-up I think I should start with the acid...(58 oz. of 38.45%). Going to wait until daybreak to add the acid. Hoping someone can weigh in on this before then!

Ok...I did another test this morning with better light conditions than last nights test. Numbers changed a bit.

FC - 0.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 1
(When I tested with the K-1000 it looks there isn't any chlorine at all.)
PH - 7.6
TA - 240
CH - 250
CYA - 0 (I filled the test tube all the way to the top and could still see the black dot.)

Heading out to the pool store now to get some stabilizer. Pool Math says to add 107 by weight or 111 by volume. I'm guessing more people add by volume with a measuring cup?

Also...when should I add chlorine and start worrying about PH and TA (new plaster).

Ph is right where NPT wants it. PH is most important, it should be managed as often as needed to keep it in range. Once or twice daily. FC needs to be maintained ed daily also, above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You don't want to get algae and have to SLAM new plaster. Yes, a measuring cup is good for CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.