Start up

daddymack

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Las Vegas
Since I will be doing my own startup, does Startup-Tec speed up the time when you can swim after the pool has water? I was thinking of doing the acid startup? However, does Startup-Tec eliminates the need for acid.... Also .. which is better, Jacks or startup-tec? In your opinions..

Is there a method that speeds up timing when you can use the pool? I read the Pool School startup.. And I get the warning.. no swimming during startup... but was wondering if exceptions exist

Re: Plaster start up

Nothing eliminates the need for acid. You will need that for the lifetime of the pool. I would not advocate swimming during an acid startup, you'd need to wait until the pH is in a normal range between 7.2-7.8.

Startup Tec or any other sort of sequestrant is used to prevent scale from forming while the plaster is curing. Few really understand what is happening during the hydration and curing of the plaster; using a sequestrant is not just for known metals in the fill water but also to prevent scale formation. Calcium is a metal after all.

Re: Plaster start up

Nothing eliminates the need for acid. You will need that for the lifetime of the pool. I would not advocate swimming during an acid startup, you'd need to wait until the pH is in a normal range between 7.2-7.8.

Startup Tec or any other sort of sequestrant is used to prevent scale from forming while the plaster is curing. Few really understand what is happening during the hydration and curing of the plaster; using a sequestrant is not just for known metals in the fill water but also to prevent scale formation. Calcium is a metal after all.

I only meant eliminate need for acid at startup. or an acid wash, because those products indicate that they pretty much reduce plaster dust.

And I understanding not swimming during an acid startup, my questions was is the time before you can swim shortened. I guess it all depends on the PH level is what you are saying? Also, still not sure what the diff between the two products are.

They both are basically sequestrants.

There is nothing that magically eliminates plaster dust. A quality application of a quality product that has been allowed to set up before exposed to non aggressive water will produce little dust. Pools that get acid washed the day following the application will have little to no dust anyway and do not need an acid startup. There really isn't anything to replace an acid wash as that is necessary to expose the aggregate and even out the plaster variations.

This site advocates no swimming for the first month which I feel is very extreme. The plaster will be very hard 24 hours after application. So long as your swimmers are cognizant that the plaster is fresh, don't do anything reckless and the water is balanced/sanitized, I don't see why they can't swim...I sure would be.

I may have missed it, but what type of finish are you doing?

They both are basically sequestrants.

There is nothing that magically eliminates plaster dust. A quality application of a quality product that has been allowed to set up before exposed to non aggressive water will produce little dust. Pools that get acid washed the day following the application will have little to no dust anyway and do not need an acid startup. There really isn't anything to replace an acid wash as that is necessary to expose the aggregate and even out the plaster variations.

This site advocates no swimming for the first month which I feel is very extreme. The plaster will be very hard 24 hours after application. So long as your swimmers are cognizant that the plaster is fresh, don't do anything reckless and the water is balanced/sanitized, I don't see why they can't swim...I sure would be.

I may have missed it, but what type of finish are you doing?

Thank you! I am using quartzscapes reflections Tahoe - apparently the most popular in Vegas, according to the supplier...

I am guessing and acid wash is applying a diluted acid mixture directly to a dry pool, versus an acid startup which is putting the acid in a full pool...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.