slight squeal - hayward super pump

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I have a Hayward Super Pump. The pump itself is older, but I replaced the motor shortly after I bought the house (about 3 years ago), with a new AO Smith. Before the first motor quit, the pump was kinda loud like a higher pitch sound. After I replaced the motor, I was suprised at how quiet the pump was. So fast forward to about a week ago, I noticed the same kinda sound. I thought maybe some debri was lodged around the impeller, so I took the motor off, and removed the impeller. There was a lot of moisture behind the seal, and a bunch of corrosion. Can someone take a look at these pictures and tell me if this is normal? Also, when I looked inside the metal "vents" at the top of the motor, I saw a dead lizard. I am not sure there is an easy way to get in there and remove it, or if it matters. Also the impeller was very easy to remove. I held the nut in back of motor, and did not have to use any force to loosen the impeller.

Lastly, I had a pinhole leak in the pump housing, which I patched with JB Weld, and that held perfectly until the other day I noticed very small amount of water leaking from under the JB Weld, so I cut away a bit of the mateial that was loose, and appliend more to seal it. Now no more leak, but not sure how long it was leaking.
lizard.jpgmotor_top.jpgimpeller.jpgleak.jpg

So, any guidance on next steps would be appriciated. The algea is back, and need to get this pump back in asap. Thanks!

Chris

So I watched a few videos I found in other posts, and ended up cleaning all the corrosion with a steel brush. Then I replaced the impeller and the porcelain rubber seal thing. Put it all back together, and motor still sounds like it has kind of a mechanical echoing sound. Not sure if the cracked impeller had anything to do with this issue, but given that crack I figured it needed to be replaced anyway. Since water got in the motor, I am wondering what it sounds like when the bearings are going bad. If anyone has a link to a recording of that, let me know. I mean the sound is not loud or anything, but it is more noticable than several weeks ago. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.