stains in gunite/clorine pool

Joe N

Jun 2, 2009
:hammer: I have a 5yr old gunite pool that has a very light gray stains all over,mostly solid except in spots it looks like somthing spilled on it and cleaned that area.Tried liquid bleach on steps when water was low also tried vitamin c tabs no diffrence vitamin c tabs actually left brown/yellow stains after 1-2 min. of sitting, any one have a suggestions.Thank you.

Joe N

greyish stains that turned brownish or didn't budge from ascorbic acid (vitamin c) ? Sounds like copper to me! Copper stains can be problematic. First thing to figure out is where the copper came from and to have your water tested to see of there is any dissolved copper in it now or if it's all deposited as stain.
Have you used copper based algaecides in the past?
Do you have a mineral system or ionizer?
Do you have a heater? If so what kind?
Is there copper in your fill water or do you have copper plumbing and low pH fill water?

I am going to be blunt with the bad news. In some cases you can treat copper staining in the pool (and I do know a few ways) but often the only cure is going to be an acid wash. This is why prevention of copper staining is better then trying to remove them once they form.

Post a full set of test results so we can get a better idea of your water right now and then we can figure out how the copper got there.

Joe N said:
:hammer: I have a 5yr old gunite pool that has a very light gray stains all over,mostly solid except in spots it looks like somthing spilled on it and cleaned that area.Tried liquid bleach on steps when water was low also tried vitamin c tabs no diffrence vitamin c tabs actually left brown/yellow stains after 1-2 min. of sitting, any one have a suggestions.Thank you.

Joe N
Joe N said:

Joe N
Thanks for the help!!!. I did have a water purafication system that leaked small beeds into the pool prob. the reason for copper stains,I am not using system this year.
I did have water tested an metals are ok at his point.Do you have any ideas short of acid wash that I can try, Thanks again for your help.