Badu Swim Jets

Hi Hipcash, I have a BaduStream II installed in my pool in Texas. I didn't plan for it in the design phase of the pool but did get it added before the gunite was sprayed in (so effectively built in). I don't have any experience with the "outboard" version.

Bottom line is we like it and it's fun for the kids but there are considerations.

It was a challenge for us because our builder didn't have a lot of experience with installing them. It was first installed on the side of our house by all the other pool equipment hidden behind a fenced in area - perfect. Unfortunately, it was at too high an elevation and couldn't catch prime consistently. Our PB came back out and moved it to be inline with the pool (credit to him). Unfortunately now it sits right out in the open by the pool - basically a big, loud motor with huge pipes coming out of the ground. And worse, it's below the water line of the pool so while it will never have an issue priming itself, winterizing it or even for maintenance of the motor is an issue as water flows out from the pool when the drain plug on the motor is opened.

Further, the PB told me the plan for winter was to have it on the freeze circuit. This is unacceptable as I don't want to spend money running it without being able to use it. We talked about putting a valve on the pipe but he hasn't gotten back to me on that so I think he doesn't like it. I do see Badu has some winterizing covers I can install and remove each season - what a pain that will be and will have to make sure it can't be accidentally turned on.

Pros:
- kids love it
- can use it as a workout (slow pace swimming only, not for a hardcore swimmer working on speed)
- I turn it on to help disperse chemicals when I need to add them
- makes raising the PH easy

Cons:
- added ~4k to the pool cost to install
- loud
- uses lots of expensive electricity
- raises PH
- winterizing will be interesting

My advice to you would be to make sure you plan for it ahead of time and consider elevation so you get it installed correctly.

Let me know if you have questions and good luck on your build!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.