New Build in North Texas (Frisco)

On another note, I've decided to go ahead and add a heater. Even though I don't have a spa, I know I will want to heat the pool a few times during the winter and spring. So I had my PB write up a work order to have them bring a gas line to the equipment pad. But I am going to buy the heater myself. I think I can save a few bucks that I can spend elsewhere. I am all but sold on a model from Sta-Rite. The reviews seem pretty good on it.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Sta-...66342193&_bta_c=ab1ifv6dmvpq8btchjx6vz2n55lcl

On another note, I've decided to go ahead and add a heater. Even though I don't have a spa, I know I will want to heat the pool a few times during the winter and spring. So I had my PB write up a work order to have them bring a gas line to the equipment pad. But I am going to buy the heater myself. I think I can save a few bucks that I can spend elsewhere. I am all but sold on a model from Sta-Rite. The reviews seem pretty good on it.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Sta-...66342193&_bta_c=ab1ifv6dmvpq8btchjx6vz2n55lcl

Hello TexasDeano,

I'll throw in my two cents...Our pool was completed early August and we have used our heater to heat the pool twice. First time the for my kids' birthday party the weekend of Oct. 1st and again last weekend. We have a Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU heater and love it! It raises the temperature a little faster than 2 degrees an hour for our 16.4K gal pool. I would whole-heartedly recommend it to another North Texan!

Pentair 460737 MasterTemp, Low NOx, 400,000 BTU, Propane Gas, Pool and Spa Heater

I can tell you that Pentair increases their warranties to 3 years when you have 3 or more Pentair products.

Good luck with whatever you get!

Matt

Ok, finally some visible progress today. The tile guys were here bright and early. They just finished putting the waterline tile around the edge. I have to say I'm not 100% thrilled with my tile selection. It seems a little dingy to me. I picked a dark blue with brown streaks in it. But I think it will look better when the flagstone coping is in.

Preview_NVR_01_20161013_150727_75309421.jpg

IMO the tile will look good with the flagstone coping. We chose a very similar combination based on seeing it in person. :goodjob: Looking forward to seeing more pics of your build.

Hello TexasDeano,

I'll throw in my two cents...Our pool was completed early August and we have used our heater to heat the pool twice. First time the for my kids' birthday party the weekend of Oct. 1st and again last weekend. We have a Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU heater and love it! It raises the temperature a little faster than 2 degrees an hour for our 16.4K gal pool. I would whole-heartedly recommend it to another North Texan!

Pentair 460737 MasterTemp, Low NOx, 400,000 BTU, Propane Gas, Pool and Spa Heater

I can tell you that Pentair increases their warranties to 3 years when you have 3 or more Pentair products.

Good luck with whatever you get!

Matt

Thanks, Matt. I did not know what about the Pentair warranties. My PB recommends the Pentair 460736, which is the natural gas version of what you have. It doesn't have real good reviews though. How much noise does yours make compared to the other equipment?

Dean

Ok, so here is something I found interesting. My PB quoted me $980 for installing a 55' gas line for my pool heater. So me and my infinite wisdom decided that sound a little high. So I had a plumber come out and give me an estimate. His estimate was an astounding (at least to me) $4,800. I just couldn't believe the amount was so much higher than what my PB wanted to charge me. My curiosity got the better of me, so I had another plumber to give me an estimate. It was also above $4,000. So I'm not sure why/how the PB can do it for under a $1,000 but I'm not going to ask any questions until AFTER it is installed and paid for.

Anyone else have any experience with gas lines?

Thanks, Matt. I did not know what about the Pentair warranties. My PB recommends the Pentair 460736, which is the natural gas version of what you have. It doesn't have real good reviews though. How much noise does yours make compared to the other equipment?

Dean

Dean,

I linked to the wrong one. I've got the NG model as well! Our pool equipment is located on the exterior wall of our bedroom and it can't be heard from inside. It is no louder than our VS pump running on high and don't think that it is as noisy as the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The PB's plumber installed mine. It was included in the cost so I don't know what the charge was. However, I had the plumber extend it from the heater another 35 feet and stub it out at my back patio for a gas grill and the plumber charged me 350.00 to do it...10.00 a foot....Don't know what that 4K bid is all about....

Ok, so here is something I found interesting. My PB quoted me $980 for installing a 55' gas line for my pool heater. So me and my infinite wisdom decided that sound a little high. So I had a plumber come out and give me an estimate. His estimate was an astounding (at least to me) $4,800. I just couldn't believe the amount was so much higher than what my PB wanted to charge me. My curiosity got the better of me, so I had another plumber to give me an estimate. It was also above $4,000. So I'm not sure why/how the PB can do it for under a $1,000 but I'm not going to ask any questions until AFTER it is installed and paid for.

Anyone else have any experience with gas lines?

The PB's plumber installed mine. It was included in the cost so I don't know what the charge was to extend it. However, I had the plumber extend it from the pool heater another 35 feet and stub it out at my patio for a gas grill and the plumber charged me 350.00 to do it...10.00 a foot....Don't know what that 4K bid is all about....

Just FYI, you will probably have to have the gas company install a larger capacity gas meter than what you have at your home now. Mine was something like a 260 or something similar and they swapped it out for a 625 after I told them I was planning on installing an instant hot water heater in a year or two as well. Atmos did not charge for the meter swap. However, my PB failed to tell me that I would need a larger one to accommodate the heater and I only found it out when the heater wouldn't stay running but for a few seconds after lighting. Luckily, Atmos responded within 2 days and swapped it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some progress to report today. The stone guys have been hard at work since yesterday installing the flagstone coping. Today they also started work on the Leuders Ashlar stone walls. I also ordered the Pentair 460736 MasterTemp heater.

Preview_NVR_01_20161018_130832_500168343.jpg

Good progress today. The stone work is a slow go, I'll tell ya. But slowly but surely the wall is appearing. The gas line is in, but the trench is still open until it gets expected. Hopefully Maxwell the basset learned his lesson and will stay out of it.

Preview_NVR_01_20161019_161149_597562828.jpg

Wow, what a stunning design!! Excited to watch your progress. Have you looked into travertine coping since you are going with the SWG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed that I never replied to your question. I looked at the travertine coping but decided to go with the Oklahoma flagstone. Initially, I was very sensitive to the materials because of the salt, but based on the plethora of information I've read on TFP, I've accepted that keeping the water chemistry is good order is the best thing I can to prevent issues. With that said, I do understand that all things equal, saltwater is harder on certain materials than non-saltwater. But water chemistry is at least as big a factor.

But I'll still make sure to wash things down if they get drenched by pool water.

I'd have thought it to be easier to remove that sod at your equipment pad location BEFORE they formed it, but everyone has their own way. Just be aware and make sure it is removed before the pour. A little stone base wouldn't be out of line either . . .

Thanks for pointing that out. I asked my project manager about it and he said they weren't planning on it but can if I want them to. I said yes, definitely. Seems silly to leave that material under there that is just going to rot away and leave hollow spots.

Noticed an issue today. The pipe coming up out of the tanning ledge is too close to the edge of the pool. My project manager came out and agreed so they are going to move it out towards the center of the ledge.

IMG_0541.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The stone guys made good progress today despite early morning rain. They tell me the ledge wall around the three sides of the pool will be finished by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. Yippeee!

Preview_NVR_01_20161020_163607_685421328.jpg

The heater has arrived. I initially decided to not have a heater since I didn't have a spa. But then I changed my mind in the middle of the project and decided to add a heater. My salesman gave me a quote on adding a heater, but I realized I could save some money by buying the heater myself and having my PB install it. So that's what I did. I ended up saving about $850. Not too bad. That's $850 more available for my landscaping budget or other costs I didn't plan for. :)

20161021_121450.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed the writing on the pallet. I hope Pepsi doesn't come and commandeer my heater! LOL.

sprinkler on a timer????? I like easy to "remember" LOL

Well I am glad you were there for that and there was nothing else! SWEET!

Okay now is the time start getting you ready for plaster......Here is the link to how we say to start plaster. You should run it by your PB as he is the one that holds the warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Please note the 30 days no swimming depends on the start up method. Ask your PB when you can swim.

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you have any idea what test kit he is giving you? If not see if you can find out and share it with us so we can fill in any holes.

:kim:

Hey Kim,

tftestkits.net sells the TF-100 in a bundle that includes an 18 inch Wall Whale brush, a Speedstir, and a Skimmer Angel.

I've read that the SpeedStir is a good thing to get. But what about the Wall Whale brush and the Skimmer Angel? Are they worth it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.