Getting my FC right

Aug 12, 2016
Burleson, TX
I am a new pool owner and recently refilled my pool. I'm trying to get the water balanced. I bought the recommended test kit, but can't seem to get the FC up. What is the recommended level of FC? Should I be pouring bleach straight into the pool? I added conditioner a little over a week ago to raise the CYA, but can't seem to get either raised to recommended levels. Should I be adding bleach every day? If so, approximately how much? It seems like I have been putting a lot of bleach in my pool.. Thanks for any help.

Hi, welcome to TFP! How did you add your conditioner? If you have a sand filter did you backwash after adding conditioner? You can see the recommended levels on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Pour the bleach slowly in front of a return while the pump is running. Read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for basic information on pool chemistry. PoolMath will show you how much you need to add.

I used the sock method described on this web site to add the conditioner in front of the return. I have read quite a bit on the website and slowly starting to undesrstand the process. I just did all my tests and I got a reading of 0 FC. I put in 34 oz. of bleach about three hours ago based on the pool math. I had a reading of .5 FC this morning. Here are my numbers:
FC 0
CC 0
Ph greater than 8
TA 120
CH 100
CYA my guess is 20. The water is cloudy, but does not cover the black dot.

i haven't messed with anything yet except for the FC and the CYA. Why would I have 0 FC after putting all that bleach in this morning?

You need to add some MA and get the pH down to around 7.5 Since 8.0 is the top of the scale your pH may actually be higher and take a couple of doses of MA to get the pH down where it needs to be. How does the water look?

What is your water source? What FC level are you trying to reach? What strength bleach are you using? 34 ounces of 8.25% bleach would only give you 2ppm of FC.

With low CYA, it's not unusual to lose 3-4 ppm of FC per day to sunlight. And that's without any algae in your pool. Get that CYA up to at least 30 and then see what happens.

But you will still have to add some chlorine daily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.