Buy salt testing options with TF-100 order?

Plazaglass

Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Atlantic Beach, FL
Good morning, pool people!

I’m about to order my TF-100 test kit, and I see some optional items listed for salt testing. Do you recommend getting the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test and/or Aqua Chek Salt Test Strip options? Or will the basic test kit itself be sufficient?

Can you just use the sensor on your SWCG? My Jandy Aquapure 1400 gives a salinity reading on the LCD screen.

Can you just use the sensor on your SWCG? My Jandy Aquapure 1400 gives a salinity reading on the LCD screen.

They are not terribly accurate and the Pentair line (IntelliChlor) have very poor temperature compensation. The Hayward line uses multiple cell parameters (current, voltage and temperature) to infer salinity levels and is probably the most accurate of all. However they are all about +/-400ppm. The K-1766 test is +/-200ppm for the standard test protocol (10mL water sample) but can be more accurate if needed by simply using a larger sample size (+/-80ppm for a 25mL sample).

Finally, the K-1766 is a true chemical measure of chloride content while all other methods are proxy measurements and suffer from interferences.

What do they do? Infer the saline content from the conductivity/resistivity of the water?

Yes. SWG's act like electronic TDS probes, they measure conductivity. But conductivity can be affected by any ion in solution, not just Cl- . Strips rely on capillarity to determine salinity and, once again, that is subject to interference. Hydrometers use differences in specific density of saline water but it is highly temperature dependent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.