Performing SLAM, Put Too Much Chlorine

Hello,

Due to an algae bloom in my pool, I did some research and discovered this website. I'm now trying to go through the SLAM process to get my pool back to snuff.

So I ordered a Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit, and performed the FC test. I started with 10 ml of pool water and added two dippers of DPD powder. The water just barely turned a shade of super light pink after mixing it well. After two drops of R-0871, the sample went completely colorless. So 2 * 0.5 = 1. So I have 1.0 PPM of FC, correct?

I added chlorine and got to a FC of 12, which is shock level for my pool (CYA of 30). I was having a hard time maintaining this, it would go down so quickly. So I got frustrated and went a little overboard, adding a very large amount of chlorine. Now just a day and a half later, the pool is completely blue, but super, super cloudy (as expected, due to dead algae). But also, when trying to do a FC test, after putting my two scoops of DPD powder, the sample is dark purple. I can add and add R-0871, but it hardly seems to fade in color at all. I feel a bit dumb for letting my self lose my patience and just start dumping chlorine like that with no regard to the FC level.

Should I be concerned? I imagine after a couple days of sunlight with my lower CYA, it should come back down? Is there anything else I should be doing, besides brushing, vacuuming and testing the water? I would imagine as long as my chlorine (at the correct shock level of 12 FC) and pH are maintained properly, this cloudlyness should clear away?

Thank you for your time.

Thanks!

Maintaining a high FC for long periods of time can damage equipment. The FC/CYA chart provides a shock level for your CYA that is a balance of effectiveness and safety for pool equipment. As long as you let the chlorine come back down and don't add any for a while, it should be okay. Since you said it was dropping fast, it shouldn't take too long.

How much chlorine did you add, just out of curiosity? What kind of chlorine was it?

Wow! Yes, your chlorine levels will fall in sunlight. You only need to use one scoop of powder with the chlorine test. Using more just makes it run out faster. Posting a full set of results will help others give you more information to go on.

As you are finding out "a very large amount of chlorine" is not a good idea, but I do have an understanding for being frustrated:D
Please check back and input your results. Others will be here to help soon as well.

Wow that's a LOT of chlorine!! I can understand the impatience. Extra chlorine really doesn't make the SLAM go any faster, and once all the algae is dead it does take longer to burn off from the sun alone. But it'll drop. Losing 2.5 ppm a day seems to be a rough average from the sun alone, but I think it burns off faster when you're at a higher level.

Keep in mind too that when the water is in the "clarifying" stage (all algae dead, just waiting for cloudiness to clear), this stage can take a long time with a sand filter, and is the quickest with a DE filter. Keep doing all the other SLAM activities (brushing, vacuuming, etc.) while you wait for chlorine to drop and cloudiness to subside.

Also, when you do the FC test, make sure it turns pink and stays pink after adding the R-0870 powder. The TF-100 kit states to use 1 "heaping" scoop of R-0870 instead of two level scoops. Really, the idea is to make sure you have a little extra on the bottom of the cylinder. Whenever I do the test, there are always some granules left on the bottom; I feel like with using two scoops, there would always be a ton of extra which is a little wasteful (but not detrimental for the test!)

Over that day and a half, I'd say around 18-20 gallons of chlorine.

I did the same thing to my pool (before I found this site), I added 16 gallons in 24 hours. After the fact and after I found this site, I did the math and estimated my FC was around 84 at that time! Eeek! BUT, fear not, it went down on it's own and by the time the FC came down, my pool was clear. It took about 6 days to come down to shock level. When you get back down, make sure to do an OCLT to be sure everything is gone. Good luck!! :)

You wouldn't, by chance, be managing the Olympic diving pool in Rio would you? Just kidding...it will come down over time. Just don't let people or pets in it until it comes down. The fact it's coming down more gradually is a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

This morning I tried to test all the main things, here are the numbers I got.

FC = 26.5
CC = 0
PH = 7
TA = 80
CH = 500
CYA = 30

The CC test was supposed to turn a pink when adding the regent according to the instructions, but it turned yellow. I guess that means the CC is 0?

The FC is definitely going down though! Will keep testing. I can't really tell if the water has cleared up at all, but I will keep at it! Pump is running 24/7 :)

If you take pictures of stairs or a ladder, you will find it easier to see the day to day progress. Basically, anything that goes down into the water will do. Post them here as we all love to watch pools get better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.