New to pool and forum and testing

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
I am new to pool ownership, and to this forum. I just bought a house in SW FL with an 8,000 gallon fiberglass pool. I am learning that fiberglass here is rare, but my answer has become that I bought the house and the pool came with it. :p

I have been using a Taylor K-1004, and I found that my readings, at least those I could get, were off from the local pool store's. So, this morning I pulled the trigger and ordered the TF-100 Start Up XL.

I recently did a cobalt treatment for some staining, and I had to lower the FC to 0. I have no issues with the pool, but seem to be losing chlorine during the day as I have been keeping a very close eye on it, and I just needed to upgrade my testing options.

That is all...for now.

Kevin

OH goodie! Another FL person!!! SWEET!

Here is a set of links I set up for pool owners. It is a lot of info. so take it slow. It will all make sense once you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

I am still waiting on my TF-100 kit, so I took a sample to my local pool store. Here are those numbers:

FC - 5

PH - 7.4

TA - 80

CH - 280

CYA - 70

No signs of problems as of right now.

IMG_7221.jpgIMG_7227.jpg

Kevin

Let's just hold tight and wait for your test kit and self-tested results. In the meantime, how do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

To your comment about losing chlorine. You will lose chlorine each day, it's a consumable. The key is to replace it routinely and in the correct manner.

Liquid chlorine. There is an inline chlorinator, but adding liquid has been what I've done in addition to the inline.

I needed a jug of chlorine today, so I went ahead and got the numbers just to have them.

It's part of the original philosophy behind the origins of the TFP method, bleach, baking soda and borax I believe. It escapes me how that acronym persists to this day. We don't use it anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.