Making the break from relying on the "pool store experts'

Aug 13, 2016
Chalfont, PA
Hello Fellow Pool Owners, this is my first post and I am a novice but hopefully a quick learner. I didn't read many posts yet, just finished school. I've had this big nice in ground pool for several years without too much trouble. This year, yikes! I noticed the DE filter never really got cleaned during backwash as indicated by the clean pressure always being 5-7 psi higher than the opening pressure, but I actually don't think I can do the dis-mantling and washing by myself so I just keep backwashing. Happy DE isn't too expensive. Then yellow algae cycle of shocking, vacuuming, it goes away and I love my pool and then 2 days later, algae. So, I am ready to do the SLAM deal and off to get a test kit. Where is the best place ( 'aka cheapest') to buy the chlorine? My most recent numbers :

FC =0.7
CYA = 97
TC=1.1
pH = 7.9

Any other advice on the SLAM and just getting my pool cheaper and easier to maintain would be most appreciated. btw, we are in a triple digit heatwave for the Philly suburbs! Not the best for pools but everyone is so desperate to be in one

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You'll need the test kit before anyone here can help much. Until it arrives, add one gallon 0f 8.25% bleach (not scented, not splashless) per day until the kit arrives. You'll need to test your own CYA and will need FAS-DPD testing to do the SLAM.

This is the most often recommended test kit here at TFP: TFTestkits.net
It's a good idea to buy the XL option as well when a SLAM is expected.

Have a look at this thread to learn about where to buy bleach: 2016 bleach prices - Page 16

:wave: to TFP Diane

Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing the size/capacity of your pool so I'm not so sure one gallon a day is an appropriate recommendation as it might be way too much or not enough.
Please give us you pool and equipment info in your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started

Finding the best price on bleach is difficult because it comes in different sizes and strengths. This application will let you compare apples to oranges so to speak. You input the strength, size and cost and it tells you the price you're paying for the bleach only. That way you can determine if a 128 oz 6% bottle for X $$ is a better or worse buy than a 96 oz 12% bottle for Y $$.
Chlorine price per oz calculator - - > Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

TF100 test kit is my recommendation too.

I could see your pool volume in your signature just fine, Ant Diane. Thanks very much for filling that in before posting :)

A gallon a day is quite reasonable for the few days until your test kit arrives. If you can find 10% liquid pool shock or 12.5% pool chlorinating liquid, you'll have less weight to lug around. Good luck finding a good source for your SLAM.