Pool Light Switch Replacement

I am replacing my pool light switch, which was an intermatic RC 613 (also had a remote) with a standard toggle switch. The intermatic had 3 wires; white, black, red. In the adjacent splice box they connected whit to white, black to black, red to black. This is fed off of the GFI outlet in the panel box. The new outdoor switch has two screws and indicates to connect both black wires to the screws and connect any whites with a wire nut. My question is, what do I do with the white wire? Just put a nut on it and leave it. No other white wires to connect to it. Thanks

I'm not familiar with your intermatic but I did come across this wiring diagram which shows the white as being a ground. On a simple toggle switch you'd be connecting the black and red wires to the two terminals of the rocker.

Attachments

• Intermatic-remote-RC-control2.jpg
    Intermatic-remote-RC-control2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 47
We are replacing the timer with a single pole switch correct? Ignore the prior wiring in the timer.

From the panel you should have a white, black and a green insulated ground. All grounds associated with a pool must be insulated. From the light you should have a white, black and an insulated green ground. If this is not what you have we have a problem.

Connect the black from the panel to the line terminal of the switch. It will say Line or be brass. Connect the black from the light to the load terminal on the switch. It will be chrome or say load. If they are not labeled then just connect one to each terminal. Connect the green insulated ground wires together with a pigtail in a wire nut and connect the pigtail to the green grounding screw on the switch. Connect the two whites together with a wire nut.

Again you need a white, a green and a black from the light and the same from the panel. If you cannot or don't have those you need to have someone with more experience figure out what is going on.

And remember :kim::kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.