First time pool owner

Janmot

Aug 3, 2016
La Grange
Janice here from Texas. Recently retired and gifted myself a pool. Intex above ground 12×24×52 rectangular pool. Sand filter, 1.5 horsepower. After ready on this site I ordered my TP100 test kit. Hubby and I installed the pool ourselves and then added a deck on 2 sides. Plan to surround pool but have to save some money first. Only regret I wish I had found this site before I purchased the pool. Would have felt better informed. Had one issue when started as pool turned brown when chlorine was added. Too much metal in well water.
Test kit arrived late today and I conducted the test. Just know this was early evening after a very hot day here are my numbers...
FC 2
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 240
CH 325
CYA <20. Not zero but turned cloudy at top of container.

Posted in other forum wondering which do I tackle first then second. Assume FC then CYA then TA. Or can I leave TA alone?

Hey again Janmot :) Yeah, you wanna get some FC and CYA in there first. You can do them at the same time almost- just put the desired amount of CYA in a sock and hang it over the side in front of a return, then put the liquid chlorine in. Use PoolMath to advise you on amounts.

The TA will come down over time as you lower the pH to 7.2 time and again while using aeration to raise the pH up *again*... weird mystery science there (lol) but it works! Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Don't put anything with calcium in the pool- you have more than a vinyl pool needs. That will lower with splash out and water replacement over time.

Yip :flower:

That's a great first post! Sorry to hear about iron, you've probably already heard of a filter for your fill spigot?

Welcome to TFP and good to have you here :) Thanks for reading up!

Answer is YES! You got this :)

You either do frequent acid additions to stay in correct pH range, or reduce attention to acid by lowering TA. I would reduce TA if it was me. Here's what is meant by an aerator and the link to the procedure. Swimming by crazy kids is the best aeration.

Skippy's New Fountain
How to lower TA