Adding Chemicals above returns

Jun 2, 2016
Madera CA
My pool has four returns, one at each corner of the pool, which puts three of the four returns right near steps. My current routine when adding chemicals is to turn on the pump, add muriatic (new plaster so I am adding MA almost every day) above the one return NOT near a step, then quickly add the liquid chlorine needed ratably over the other three returns, pouring slowly. This routine has me pouring the chlorine right over the steps in the pool (pump then runs for an hour or so to mix). Since the chlorine doesn't have far to fall before hitting the steps, I am afraid I will be bleaching/staining my new Pebble Fina finish this way. Should this be something I need to worry about?

Also, my returns are just angle cut PVC pipe. They don't have "eyeball" attachments and are not threaded in any way. Does their exist some sort of fitting that I could just "press-fit" into the return that would allow me to adjust the flow? Any input would be appreciated.

I would not worry about bleaching first it would be hard to do even if you tried dilution happens fairly quickly the return will accelerate the process. You should not add chlorine at the same time as MA even to different parts of the pool I would wait at least 10 min in between each, longer would be even better. Not sure about the returns is it a new pool and perhaps the builder has some temporary pipes in there for the first couple of weeks to avoid pasterns being formed form the water flow? A picture or 2 may help

The pool is fifteen years old, I bought the house five years ago, and had it re-plastered with the Pebble Fina three months ago. Found this website, switched to TFP method, and fired my pool guy at the same time. The pool is 35 feet long, so I've always figured MA at the deep end and bleach at the other was safe. Maybe I am just asking for trouble doing it that way. The returns are PVC cut at an angle flush with the hole in the plaster where water is returning.

Once you close your pool, you could lower the water level below the returns, and using PVC glue, add a threaded fixture that will accept a 1.5 " female attachment. Then you could add the return eyeballs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.