Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a pool?

Aug 10, 2016
Goshen
Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a pool?

Building a pool and looking for recommendations on what to include. I am also thinking about doing all but the dig and cement work myself. Any advice would be most appreciated. Right now I am thinking about an l-shaped pool (so we can have a larger play area and also a diving board). Also leaning towards saltwater and polymer walls because of the cost savings and the idea of putting steel in the ground doesn't excite me.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. What a great site/resource!

Re: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a p

Building a pool and looking for recommendations on what to include. I am also thinking about doing all but the dig and cement work myself. Any advice would be most appreciated. Right now I am thinking about an l-shaped pool (so we can have a larger play area and also a diving board). Also leaning towards saltwater and polymer walls because of the cost savings and the idea of putting steel in the ground doesn't excite me.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. What a great site/resource!

I know what you don't want there- UV/Ozone sanitizer, any solid chlorine tabs dispenser or some metal based algae prevention system. Expensive and useless at the same time.
Please make sure you get VS pump and (here I'm biased) DE filter.

Re: Just starting the process in Northern Indiana - what are your "must haves" in a p

Must haves for me are:
Usable depth throughout, usable unimpeded length (for laps), a wow factor of some kind (water/fire features), shade.

Check out liner-over-stairs options, i think avoiding the traditional fiberglass stairs looks a lot better.

DE filter for sure. Rounded edges corners are harder to clean. Thermal plumbing rather than a cover for heat. Plaster (white) holds up the best. More mechanical than electronic system ( less convenient but more reliable and cheaper to install /maintain) Color changing lights or lenses. Swim up bar

Last edited:

Umbrella mount(s) - we have a built in table and the umbrella covers two built in loungers. Great area to relax in the water. Diving board. SWG. We have a 3" ledge around from the 3 1/2' end to the 8' end - is a great place for younger kids to stand and take a break, or helps if you want to hop out of pool where there is no ladder.

42" deep standing benches in the deep end corners attached to 18" deep ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have a vinyl liner like you are leaning towards. For me, must haves are a bench in the deep end (you'll get so much more use out of that area with it) and liner covered steel stairs. Also really nice coping, in-pool lights and a heater (though the heater can easily be added later).

Auto-fill to maintain water level and overflow drain so no adding water every few days in the summer and no standing in the rain draining pool in winter....

Auto-fill to maintain water level and overflow drain so no adding water every few days in the summer and no standing in the rain draining pool in winter....

The OP is in Goshen, Indiana. He will be ice skating on his pool in the winter.

Thanks so much for your input! Love these. How about decking? People happy with concrete? Happier with composite decking? Is it worth it to go more upscale and do travertine?

And yes, I will be ice skating in the winter ;)

I am thinking I might go with an L shaped pool so we have a mini- usable area for volleyball, basketball, etc, but still have a deep end for a diving board/slide

Hello fellow northern Indiana neighbor, I'm just a long stones throw from you over in south bend!

I have only come into ownership of a pool in the past 5 months, but having the opportunity to build your own, take some time to really think about the layout/style of things around the pool as well. Yes it can all be added later, but if the table or bench in the pool isn't feasible right now, maybe make a little cabana bar just outside of it, or add a long rectangle covered area with some nice furniture to enjoy as well.

My wife and I were recently at a friends house and their pool almost seemed secondary to their little Caribbean retreat of a layout outside of the pool. They had a 3-waterfall system off to the side flowing down onto gorgeous obsidian type rocks, beautiful multi-tiered levels which included a hot tub, what seemed to be an outdoor sauna, a rinse-off/shower area, and a full open seating bar area complete with storage, TV, built in grill, and sink.

It felt like a little mini getaway.

Remember, we only get about 4 months (5 if your brave) of use so make sure whatever you do, you use the bonkers out of it!

An idea FOR the pool, built in retractable hardcover (also seen at friends house) fall and winter can be brutal here, I'm not looking forward to the amount of time cleaning leaves out of the pool...

Good luck! I'm excited to see the progress and eventually final product!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.