I made a pool logger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll chime in and say thanks for the Pool Logger. I started using it about 3 weeks ago, seems to be pretty stable since the time I started and very few updates since. It's an easy way for me to track my chemicals and tests and learning what I need to do for adjusting my chemicals based on a test reading. Pool Math is also great, but I clear my cookies too often and it doesn't retain past values.

I was excited when I first found this tool and then have to say a little disappointed that it was a web site rather than an app for a portable device. That said, I have found that if I just create a shortcut on my phone or the iPad Mini that I use for pool control (Screen Logic from Pentair) then it's just as handy and as useful as an app. I'm very happy with the way it operates and displays, especially on the mini. At this point I wouldn't care one way or the other (web page vs app) other than having my data locally with me vs stored on a server that could go away some day.

I'll be glad to contribute, but I don't know what is fair to cover my portion of bandwidth and data storage for a year or two. I'm not asking you to disclose that, but you can PM me and tell me if my contribution is short of what it costs to support a user. I understand that support of bandwidth and data storage doesn't include development time. Thanks for sharing your tool thus far.

Thank you very much for the support. I was looking for a way to support all devices no matter what. Keeping up with multiple versions of the app for different Mobile OS's (and their versions as well) can be a pain. The web app was a quick way to get this going rapidly. After making it look nicer I am considering wrapping it up into mobile apps. Stay Tuned.

I also feel like I need a quick calculator in the app. Having the auto targets etc is nice but last week I wanted to get my TA down and I had to go change the target PH to 7.2 in settings and then go check what to add, and then change the target back up. I want the ability to go to a page and say what do i need to add to make my PH go down to 7.2? just a quick calculator which still uses your current values, almost like you can set a temp target. I am working on that, and the chemical totals page next. Been very busy at my real job though lately.

I also feel like I need a quick calculator in the app. Having the auto targets etc is nice but last week I wanted to get my TA down and I had to go change the target PH to 7.2 in settings and then go check what to add, and then change the target back up. I want the ability to go to a page and say what do i need to add to make my PH go down to 7.2? just a quick calculator which still uses your current values, almost like you can set a temp target. I am working on that, and the chemical totals page next. Been very busy at my real job though lately.
As a suggestion, make the "targets" tied to the actual readings, not just a global setting. You could copy over from test to test, allowing the target to be changed for that particular reading. This would accomplish what you are looking to do plus keep a historical record of the "target" as they changed. The actual and target would then stored in the historical records. The ability to change "target" on the fly has been a feature that has kept me from changing from my current tool (Pool Pal standalone mobile app). I have to say that having charts in your logger is a plus that Pool Pal doesn't have (adding the "target" to you charts would be something I'd find useful as well).

Best of luck in your continued development.

Love the pool Logger. I sit out by the pool with my test kit and iPad and log away!

suggestion. Please add the ability to indicate the number of tabs used for trichlor instead of oz.

thanks!

My charts look like my numbers are unstable.

Now that the cooler weather is here I've been adjusting my pump run times and there has been a few days when the SWG was off for low salt (caused by cooler water temps).

Today's numbers

Ph - 7.9
FC - 10.5
CH - 325
TA - 100
CYA - 75
Salt - 3470
Temp - 64F

What do your charts look like?

Well your FC is swinging because, like you said, you have been adjusting run time and the SWG wasn't running for a bit. As for the pH. That looks pretty normal for an SWG pool with that high of a TA. I assume that you have to keep adding acid to lower your pH on a regular basis. Try getting your TA down to 60 or so and see if that steadies that out. The CSI will fluctuate if your pH is fluctuating as well

I've been playing with my numbers and if I drop my TA down especially to the lower limit my CSI is almost or at the -.6 point. I've been trying to target -.3 to .3 range.
During the winter I'm adding about 12oz of acid per week to lower my Ph.
Summer will be a different story with kids swimming and fountains running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a technical/grammatical point here - it's "Calcite Saturation Index" not "Calcium Saturation Index". CSI measures the relative saturation of calcium carbonate (Calcite) in the water to its theoretical maximum value based on all the relevant data. It's a measure of how undersaturated (negative) or oversaturated (positive) the water is.

Just a technical/grammatical point here - it's "Calcite Saturation Index" not "Calcium Saturation Index". CSI measures the relative saturation of calcium carbonate (Calcite) in the water to its theoretical maximum value based on all the relevant data. It's a measure of how undersaturated (negative) or oversaturated (positive) the water is.

Changed, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been playing with my numbers and if I drop my TA down especially to the lower limit my CSI is almost or at the -.6 point. I've been trying to target -.3 to .3 range.
During the winter I'm adding about 12oz of acid per week to lower my Ph.
Summer will be a different story with kids swimming and fountains running.

Raise your CH a little maybe?

with something like this:

Ph - 7.8
FC - 10.5
CH - 400
TA - 60
CYA - 75
Salt - 3470
Temp - 64F

you are around -.3 and when the temp comes up in the summer you will be closer to -.15

Anyone else want to chime in?

Just thought I would post an update. The season will be starting up again for some of us and so will my development on this app. I slowed development over the winter because there was less general activity with my own pool and others here as well. Anyways, I have WAY more users now that I would have ever expected, so I am off to the races again here pretty soon to add more to this app. I hope you all are still enjoying it. I still use it every time I test my pool.

Thanks so much for your hard work Russell! I've found your tracking tool so handy and useful - I track my testing and chemical additions daily in it. It's been a tremendous help ever since I built my pool in October and didn't know what I was doing. Having the graphical output has really helped me learn the fluctuations in my pool and when combined with the TFP methods, the initial stress I felt about pool ownership has completely gone away!

Russell's, thanks for your hard work and generosity. I just registered. It is still cold here in northern Ohio, and will be until end of April or May so I won't get much use out of it till then. New ig pool so looking forward to all aspects of pool, including testing. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.