Super II Pump died, New SuperPump seems weak & sucking air Hayward

Jun 19, 2013
Sunny Florida
Hi guys, so we had a big lightening surge and lots of appliances, trees, were hit in my town. My Super II 2Hp pump died. It was one speed. After the surge it would just keep humming. Thanks to the posts here, we replaced the start capacitor and were really excited that we got it to run, but it would trip the breaker quickly. It seemed to sound harsher and within about 7 seconds, the breaker would trip. I wondered if the thermal overload was shot. I could tackle it but I am hosting a bday party for my son so I had to just replace because no local store didnt have it. I still dont know if that would have fixed it. I still have it and I want to try to fix it one day LOL.

Anyhow, all the local stores had was a terribly overpriced superpump 2Hp one speed. After the install, the pump seems not up to par. Upon closer look, the pool returns are bubbling, making noise, and I believe this is a problem with the basket and top seal. When I shut the pump off, water spits out of the top seal at me. It seems like a manufacturing issue. Im guessing this is where air is being sucked in as well. I saw someone else posted this same problem on an amazon review.

So, what to do? Pool store says contact Hayward. Sigh.

I also wanted to ask what are the key differences between superpump and super II pump? I feel like I made a mistake. I miss my ruggedized Super II which was quieter as well it seemed. My pool is 28k, 10ft deep, 3 returns in pool, 1 skimmer, 4 returns in spa, and 2water curtain features that sadly wont work unless the pool returns are off. It seems plumbed that way. I had a pool company come and no one understands it, they say it seems it need a separate pump and change of plumbing connections. Thats another issue altogether though.

Hi there, anyone know if it sounds like the thermal overload might be the issue in my broken superII pump? We already replaced capacitor. Pump runs for few seconds and then trips breaker. I guess maybe motor bearings wiring could be possible? Any way to know?

What are key differences for superpump and superIIpump 2hp?

anyone else experience air sucking in from the top plastic of superpump? Im going to send a video to hayward :(

The super ii is a much larger head pump that moves significantly more water than the regular super pump. It is very likely that the new pump you got is too small to support the spa jets.

Can you return it? I would suggest a new 2 speed motor on your old super ii.

Why a 2 speed? Does that mean that sometimes during the less speed it will move less water and during the high speed, more water? Will this affect the look of the water coming out of the spa? It barely trickles out now. :(

Not sure if I can return it, bought it at pinch a penny.

Re: Super II Pump died, New SuperPump seems weak & sucking air Hayward

You would run high speed (equivalent to the single speed) when you need high flow like for the spa. Then usually run on low just for circulating and filtration to save money on electricity.

Re: Super II Pump died, New SuperPump seems weak & sucking air Hayward

Sounds like your overflow valves are incorrect if the super ii was not enough. That is a very large pump

Seems like the 2hp SuperII is to big a pump for your filter also. You are probably pushing that filter to it's limit all the time, then it goes through the heater and back to pool and waterfeature. Would have to see a picture of your valve setup, the only way to get more water to your water curtain would be a second pump or a bypass of the filter and heater.(Not recommended)May be same reason spa jets aren't very strong

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys, Here is a pic of pool valves in pool/spill-over mode. Or so I thought,,,? Do I have the valves right?

So what size filter is recommended?

I can see from specs that the Super II has 130 gph and 75mm head
Super I has 120gph and 90mm head.
Looks like Super I might be better for me with more head??? Im so lost...

I see no picture.

No super pump is typically large enough to support spa jet flow requirements.

Forget about head calculations, they are not straightforward. Just pick a head number and compare the flow rates between pumps to see the difference.

Not plumbed very well. If you want more spa overflow, then you have to limit flow to the pool like the valve is actually in the picture. The only way to stop flow to spa to to turn the red handle valve.

Not plumbed very well. If you want more spa overflow, then you have to limit flow to the pool like the valve is actually in the picture. The only way to stop flow to spa to to turn the red handle valve.

Ok they said they will take it back for a credit, so now I dont know what to do. I need help. What pump should I replace with??????????? Super II 2 hp or Super II 2.5 hp. :( I dont know what if anything I can do with plumbing. I would liek to replace pump with something that can handle spa jets.

The spa jets cause more head, and generally need higher flow rates to work correctly. The original pump was one of the largest, strongest pumps available. You can not go much bigger and you should not need to. If you are worried, get a 2.5 hp super ii. But it will cost more to buy and more to run. Still suggest a 2 speed. You might should just need a new 2 speed motor for your old pump.

Can you post the exact model number of the Super II you had? You are reading the pump curve chart wrong. I know this is all new to you, but a full rated 2HP Super II should have been more than enough to run everything. More than likely you need advice on the way to use the valves to optimize your flow. Any other pictures of the equipment from different angles could help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.