J Hook liner install --- Please Help

Aug 12, 2016
IA
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could be of assistance to me in regards to installing my J hook liner. I have recently dropped a galvanized metal grain bin in the ground about 46 inches. The walls and floor are lined with foam and I also have my foam cove in place. The height is very consistent at 52 inches (which is what my liner calls for). The diameter of the pool would say "in general" is within 3 to 6 inches of 24 feet. Some areas are exactly 24 feet some areas a few inches short or long. I'm not sure if that is my problem.

I purchased a J Hook liner and installed it on the top rail. It installed in my opinion perfectly. There was no excess or short of the liner going around the top. We proceeded filling the bottom and all was going to good until about 6 inches up the wall (so I would say about the top of the cove) and then it started pulling the hook over the edge on part of the wall. Well, that led to whole liner falling into the bottom.

A few questions:

1. Does the pool HAVE to be exactly 24 ft round or can it vary a few inches in places? Is this my issue?
2. Should I attempt to put some gorilla tape on the outside of the J Hook to help hold in place along with some coping strips? Will coping strips even fit over a J hook liner?
3. Before filling with water, should the liner essentially be exactly in place? When filling with water, the liner was not yet touching the walls (close, but not touching)and I figured it would stretch when being filled.
4. My neighbor has this exact same setup now for 8 years and the only difference is he has a beaded liner with the receiver. Are those stronger than the J Hook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Did you install a locking rim over the liner or just hang the liner and fill it? The typical pool construction includes a top ring covered by the ledge, screwed into the posts. Without the locking rim to hold it in place the weight of the water stretching the liner will pull it off.

Vickery, thanks for the response. No, I do not have a locking rim over the liner just the J channel on the wall. I do not have any posts. Do they make anything that will hold the J Hook in place? Crimp down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.