Southern Butterfly Offset Umbrella From Lowes- any good?

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Has anyone gotten one of these and tried it. I have looked at reviews on Amazon, and at some other models as well. The advantage of this one is that is in stock in the nearest town. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Also looking at Coolaroo umbrellas, but do not have anywhere that I know of that I can actually go look at it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FUF8/ref ... nkCode=asn

I know wind will be a problem- whatever I get I will crank it down when not in use. This is to provide shade on one end of the pool until we can get the deck with gazebo cover built, and then the umbrella will get moved to a patio near the house. The sun is INTENSE already, and it is only early June. By August, it is just savage. I want to be able to swim mid-day to cool off without being burnt to a crisp. Anyone have any other recommendations? We want it to last if we are going to spend the money.

We have two of the offset solar lighted umbrellas from that company. They were a perk thrown in from the pool company when we purchased our pool. Ours are a green rather than tan. The only issue we have had with them (had them 2 years now) is that the color is faded a good deal. They are very sturdy and well-made, and we use them a lot. Easy to crank up and down as well. You do have to be sure to secure them when not in use, because they will rock quite a bit when the wind blows. Hope that helps!

We bought the Butterfly from WalMart at the end of last season for $99. It's AWESOME! When the water bags inside the bottom part are filled it is VERY sturdy. We never worry about it blowing over, and it gets really windy in my area. I highly recommend it.

tlbb

FWIW, Ace Hardware has an 8.5' offset umbrella on sale for $59.99. It doesn't have the base, but I think you can buy it for an additional $39.99.

I bought the last one my local Ace had, and plan on mounting it to my pool deck. Just FYI.

amjohn said:
Has anyone gotten one of these and tried it. I have looked at reviews on Amazon, and at some other models as well. The advantage of this one is that is in stock in the nearest town. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Also looking at Coolaroo umbrellas, but do not have anywhere that I know of that I can actually go look at it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FUF8/ref ... nkCode=asn

I know wind will be a problem- whatever I get I will crank it down when not in use. This is to provide shade on one end of the pool until we can get the deck with gazebo cover built, and then the umbrella will get moved to a patio near the house. The sun is INTENSE already, and it is only early June. By August, it is just savage. I want to be able to swim mid-day to cool off without being burnt to a crisp. Anyone have any other recommendations? We want it to last if we are going to spend the money.

We bought that one from Lowes about a month ago. Havn't taken it out of the box yet, so I can't give you an opinion yet. As soon as we get it assembled I'll let you know. We did look at a similar one at Target for about the same price, but this one looked sturdier.

Sean

I decided to get the base for the one I bought from Ace Hardware, and we used it this weekend while we were in the pool. Seems sturdy enough, and the canopy is HUGE!! It's basically the same type of umbrella shown in the link for Lowe's.

Well we got the Lowe's umbrella, and seeing as we have no shot at getting the deck with shade canopy done this summer, this is our shade. And it is really nice. I want to get a decent cover for it. I tried the intheswim cover- wrong type. Amerimerc.com sells a cover for larger size umbrellas, but it may be worth it to get the cover for the particular umbrella that we have. The best is at night. We got the one with solar lights. Talk about cool!! I will try to get a picture. it is just enough light to make the water in the pool luminescent, but not enough to draw bugs or keep us from seeing a sky full of stars. Perfect! More than I would normally spend on patio furniture, but this summer, worth every penny.
You can kind of see the fountain running over to the left in front of the "pump house". That is a cheap thrill- 20 bucks and we have more fun with that thing, and it really does help to cool the water.

Attachments

• P1010166with umbrella and fountain at 5pm.JPG
    P1010166with umbrella and fountain at 5pm.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 369

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.