Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Southern Butterfly Offset Umbrella From Lowes- any good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern Butterfly Offset Umbrella From Lowes- any good?

Has anyone gotten one of these and tried it. I have looked at reviews on Amazon, and at some other models as well. The advantage of this one is that is in stock in the nearest town. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
    Also looking at Coolaroo umbrellas, but do not have anywhere that I know of that I can actually go look at it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FUF8/ref ... nkCode=asn

I know wind will be a problem- whatever I get I will crank it down when not in use. This is to provide shade on one end of the pool until we can get the deck with gazebo cover built, and then the umbrella will get moved to a patio near the house. The sun is INTENSE already, and it is only early June. By August, it is just savage. I want to be able to swim mid-day to cool off without being burnt to a crisp. Anyone have any other recommendations? We want it to last if we are going to spend the money.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Southern Butterfly Offset Umbrella From Lowes- any good?

We have two of the offset solar lighted umbrellas from that company. They were a perk thrown in from the pool company when we purchased our pool. Ours are a green rather than tan. The only issue we have had with them (had them 2 years now) is that the color is faded a good deal. They are very sturdy and well-made, and we use them a lot. Easy to crank up and down as well. You do have to be sure to secure them when not in use, because they will rock quite a bit when the wind blows. Hope that helps!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

3. Back To Top    #3

Recall--
    Just for info to people who bought offset umbrellas from Home Depot in January and February.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09232.html
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

We bought the Butterfly from WalMart at the end of last season for $99. It's AWESOME! When the water bags inside the bottom part are filled it is VERY sturdy. We never worry about it blowing over, and it gets really windy in my area. I highly recommend it.

tlbb

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, Ace Hardware has an 8.5' offset umbrella on sale for $59.99. It doesn't have the base, but I think you can buy it for an additional $39.99.

I bought the last one my local Ace had, and plan on mounting it to my pool deck. Just FYI.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by amjohn
    Has anyone gotten one of these and tried it. I have looked at reviews on Amazon, and at some other models as well. The advantage of this one is that is in stock in the nearest town. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
    Also looking at Coolaroo umbrellas, but do not have anywhere that I know of that I can actually go look at it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FUF8/ref ... nkCode=asn

I know wind will be a problem- whatever I get I will crank it down when not in use. This is to provide shade on one end of the pool until we can get the deck with gazebo cover built, and then the umbrella will get moved to a patio near the house. The sun is INTENSE already, and it is only early June. By August, it is just savage. I want to be able to swim mid-day to cool off without being burnt to a crisp. Anyone have any other recommendations? We want it to last if we are going to spend the money.
    We bought that one from Lowes about a month ago. Havn't taken it out of the box yet, so I can't give you an opinion yet. As soon as we get it assembled I'll let you know. We did look at a similar one at Target for about the same price, but this one looked sturdier.

Sean
    17x35 Inground Vinyl Liner
    26,000 Gallons
    Nautilus DE Filter
    Pacfab Challenger Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I decided to get the base for the one I bought from Ace Hardware, and we used it this weekend while we were in the pool. Seems sturdy enough, and the canopy is HUGE!! It's basically the same type of umbrella shown in the link for Lowe's.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

I got one from Lowe's. Had to drive 30 miles to find one in stock. It is huge. We have to be careful about wind, because it is so large, but it is very shady.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

I am thinking a cover would be a good thing for such an investment. The websites that have them have some expensive covers: http://www.parpools.com/Page/BackYard/S ... rella.html
    Anyone have any suggestions on more reasonable covers. Have you tried using a "regular" umbrella cover for one of these?, such as found at http://www.intheswim.com/Commercial-Pro ... re-Covers/ or http://www.amerimerc.com/Garden-Patio-F ... la-cvr.htm

10. Back To Top    #10

Well we got the Lowe's umbrella, and seeing as we have no shot at getting the deck with shade canopy done this summer, this is our shade. And it is really nice. I want to get a decent cover for it. I tried the intheswim cover- wrong type. Amerimerc.com sells a cover for larger size umbrellas, but it may be worth it to get the cover for the particular umbrella that we have. The best is at night. We got the one with solar lights. Talk about cool!! I will try to get a picture. it is just enough light to make the water in the pool luminescent, but not enough to draw bugs or keep us from seeing a sky full of stars. Perfect! More than I would normally spend on patio furniture, but this summer, worth every penny.
    You can kind of see the fountain running over to the left in front of the "pump house". That is a cheap thrill- 20 bucks and we have more fun with that thing, and it really does help to cool the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images