High cya

Sep 29, 2015
Las vegas nv
I know I'm gonna get blasted for not testing everything and posting it but my CYA is around 100-115ish. The pool is fairly new and been using rainbow inline chlorinate, yeah I know I know. Anyways, is it normal for it to be this high so soon? Only had pool since Christmas, 10k gallons. Currently replacing some water. What I have trouble with is time coming and fully testing it so often so I typically use the cheap quick ph and chlorine tester. Will switching to salt aid in keeping chlorine levels up without raising cya too much

CYA going that high it totally possible if you have a fair amount of FC burn off and being in Vegas I am going to guess that is the case. You can use pool math to see how much is added with each puck from there just multiply by a guesstimate of how many pucks you have used. It is also likely the PB added CYA at start up so you may have started with 30+ before you even used the first puck. Not sure what a salt aid is, if that is a SWG I would highly suggest you do convert. SWG is not going to eliminate the need for testing and maintaining the water but at least it will not add CYA.

CYA going that high it totally possible if you have a fair amount of FC burn off and being in Vegas I am going to guess that is the case. You can use pool math to see how much is added with each puck from there just multiply by a guesstimate of how many pucks you have used. It is also likely the PB added CYA at start up so you may have started with 30+ before you even used the first puck. Not sure what a salt aid is, if that is a SWG I would highly suggest you do convert. SWG is not going to eliminate the need for testing and maintaining the water but at least it will not add CYA.

I bought the big tub of tabs from Costco and it's about 85% gone. I always turn on my sheer descents and bubblers, I gather that can decrease FC as well? Also solar heat and the pool is usually around 87-92 degrees

Yeah that was typo, SWG. I get that it won't eliminate but if it helps to maintain chlorine a little better without jacking up the cya I think I'll get one.

Big,

Nothing will reliably reduce CYA except some water replacement.

You say your CYA is 100 to 115 ish.. How do you know, and how are you testing your water? If the test reads 100 it can be several hundred and there is no way to tell without the proper test kit. You've been here for a year, so I'm sure this is not new to you.

Sheers and bubblers will cause an increase in your pH level, but have little effect on the FC level. The addition of a SWG will also cause an increase in your pH.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Oh is low also. I bought one of the recommended test kits here. The cya black dot disappeared a little before the 100 mark so I guessed the rest of it. I have it slowly draining right now so when I get home from work I can replace some water and reevaluate.

You got to stop using the tabs. Save them for vacations. A SWG will work for chlorine. It's what I use. LC works great if you are there every day or so to dose as needed.

Which kit did you buy?

Haven't bought one yet. I saw the 40k gallon Hayward kit on Amazon. Might just have somebody install one locally so I don't have to deal with it. Going to make some calls later

Ok so got home and tested water again. Put some bleach this morning before I left, left water draining a bit and auto fill on. Visibly water went down a little but I'm sure I got rid of quite a bit.
Hopefully I did this right.
FC-1
CC-0.5
PH-6.8
TA-80
CH-825
CYA-75

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if I understand this correctly. I need to still drain out some more water, add soda ash, and a little bleach. I'm guessing it's best to drain more and then retest

I don't know about the rest but I'm confused- where those numbers came from? If you used K2006/TF100 test kit to get them please add test kit name to your signature if not- then I have no reference point and those numbers can mean anything. Hope you understand the dilemma here.

I don't know about the rest but I'm confused- where those numbers came from? If you used K2006/TF100 test kit to get them please add test kit name to your signature if not- then I have no reference point and those numbers can mean anything. Hope you understand the dilemma here.

I'm confused by your post. If I get 825ppm on test kit A then I should get the same on test kit B also right? Or a CYA should be the same on both? If I have high CYA I can get different kit to fix it?

I'm confused by your post. If I get 825ppm on test kit A then I should get the same on test kit B also right? Or a CYA should be the same on both? If I have high CYA I can get different kit to fix it?

only if you used K2006 or TF100 kits. I don't know about the other kits. We've seen a lot of those kits, strips, etc coming by here but none provided consistent and accurate enough results. K2006 and TF100 results are interchangeable, this was confirmed many times over. If you're using either of them please add its name to your signature; if not- please purchase TF100 kit, you'll thank yourself later :).

9a5c80d5a5ab1f96e41efbfb7005d32b.jpg

only if you used K2006 or TF100 kits. I don't know about the other kits. We've seen a lot of those kits, strips, etc coming by here but none provided consistent and accurate enough results. K2006 and TF100 results are interchangeable, this was confirmed many times over. If you're using either of them please add its name to your signature; if not- please purchase TF100 kit, you'll thank yourself later :).

Not sure how to edit signature line from phone so there's a pic

We need to know exactly how you got those test results. Please tell us where they came from. If it was with your own testing equipment, what test equipment do you own? We do NOT trust results from pool stores or inferior home testing kits. Once we know that, we can go forward with helping!

Not sure how to edit signature line from phone so there's a pic

that will do so your numbers do reflect reality. Please add it to your sig when you get a chance so nobody will ask you to purchase TF100 again :).

Now back to your post #10- yes, you're correct and that's a good idea to re- test after partial drain/refill. Please trust test results over PoolMath: PoolMath provides close estimate but test always gives you real level, the only one which matters. Your current FC is awfully low for your CYA level but if you're going to do partial drain/refill you'd need to get those numbers then.

Cross-post. Do you have any 20 mule team borax on hand? If so, add a box as it will raise your pH. Please also add some liquid chlorine/ bleach ASAP. Also, add the K2006 to your signature.

Two questions:
How does your water look?
Do you know how to use this? Pool School - PoolMath

- - - Updated - - -

Crud. I forgot you were draining and refilling. My bad. Do that and then adjust... Although if you DO have a box of borax, you could add that now. I am hyper about low pH.

Cross-post. Do you have any 20 mule team borax on hand? If so, add a box as it will raise your pH. Please also add some liquid chlorine/ bleach ASAP. Also, add the K2006 to your signature.

Two questions:
How does your water look?
Do you know how to use this? Pool School - PoolMath

- - - Updated - - -

Crud. I forgot you were draining and refilling. My bad. Do that and then adjust... Although if you DO have a box of borax, you could add that now. I am hyper about low pH.

Water is clean and clear. There was a very small spot of kind of yellowish algae in a corner but that's it. I'll retest everything in the morning once it's back to full level. Somebody said the fountains will help raise PH from aeration so I turned them all on while I was draining water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.