New build - Plano Texas

I will take this one test at a time if needed:

-FC-it might be stronger than you think OR your pool size needs to be tweaked. No big deal. We will work on that.

-TA-you pushing the PH down as the plaster cures should help lower this one.

-CYA-Oh how I hate this test LOL-when you do this test do NOT stare or LOOK for the dot. GLANCE only. GLANCE in the tube and look away.If you stare you will end up seeing that dot as you have seen. You can do and redo this test to find the level. Just pour it back into the bottle and do it again. Pour to each line, GLANCE in. If you see the dot pour to the next line. Continue this until you cannot see the dot with a GLANCE.

TDS=Pool $tore's way of making more money off of you. It is of NO importance to you or your pool.

Have you tested your fill water yet? I have my fill water test results on the cover of my test results note book. It helps me remember what I have to tweak when I add water from the hose.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! Given what you said about the CYA test, I bet it was actually 30, or maybe even higher. At 20 I could only sometimes make out the dot, and I was staring at it, not glancing. I'll use your tip and do it again tonight or tomorrow. On the FC it could be the pool volume is off a little, or the imprecision inherent with this type of testing. My ending measurement of 6 was probably a little lower because there was just barely a hint of pink left when adding the last drop. It is likely that a half or quarter of a drop was all it needed. All I really know is that it was over 5.5 and under 6. I'll just track it over time and adjust if I'm consistently over dosing. I haven't tested my fill water yet, but here is the water quality report

2017-02-14_8-39-13.jpg

We ran our robot for the first time yesterday. That thing is cool. I'm really thankful for the advice I got here and happy I went with it instead of the pressure side cleaner. It picked up a ton of pebbles and seemed to climb up the walls very well. Our heater was hooked up yesterday and we got to use the spa for the first time last night, accompanied by some ice cold beer. Awesome! I added enough CYA to raise me by 10 ppm. I'm still not really comfortable with the CYA test, but I'm sure I was at no more than 30 and probably less, so I figured I'm safe in adding 10 more for now. I have pool school tomorrow and will find out exactly how much CYA they added during start up, and that should give me a good idea of where I'm at. Then I can use that info to help me calibrate myself as the tester. Our yard is re-sodded and I never thought I could be so excited about grass! Our landscaping is also done. The plants are all small of course, but we are really happy with how it turned out. We are having some landscape lighting and a sound system installed next week and have some furniture on the way and that should put the finishing touches on it. The water is sparkling and beautiful! Today my test results were:
pH 7.9 - I added MA to get down to 7.5
FC 5.5
CC 0
TA 140

Attachments

• IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 149
LOL Kim, yes the Ahhhhh could very well have been us! It was a really nice moment to enjoy and to reflect on how fortunate we are to be able to take on a project like this, and to have it turn out just how we envisioned it. It is too easy to take things like that for granted and I'm always trying to remind myself and my kids to fully appreciate what we have.

I can't wait to see the landscaping grow up either! We got all the plants in the biggest size we could find (my dear wifey must have visited every nursery in north Texas!), but they are still only around half their full size. I'm also really anxious to see the deciduous plants leave and to see the all the blooms when they start. I'm particularly excited about the Rose of Sharon trees which are at either end of the bed that goes along the back of the pool. These are cute little trees that should get to around 6 or 7 feet tall and they have big beautiful flowers most of the summer. I'll definitely post more landscaping pictures during spring and summer.

We really love the water color too! It is really neat how it is so variable depending on the time of day and the cloud cover. The deep colors provide a really nice contrast with all the surrounding light colored stone.

BigE, Shantelly, and Daintilus - thank you all so much for the kind words!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.