PVC Piping Repair

Jul 25, 2013
Eastern PA
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

Our self priming pump still won’t prime on it’s own. I have to manually prime it every day. After what seems like weeks of performing various problem solving tests that all of you “experts" from this forum have suggested (tons of thanks to everyone), we think we have finally found the areas of our air leak(s) on the suction side. * Fingers crossed! *

Now, I am looking for suggestions on exactly how to repair the air leak(s) using this particular epoxy.
Has anyone ever used JB Weld PlasticWeld Syringe or Water Weld Epoxy Putty PVC piping? I just ordered them and they should arrive in a few days. Does the area need to be prepped in any way?

Thank you in advance for any advice / suggestions you can give.

Suzanne

spread silicone caulk around the pumps suction/inlet pvc fitting, do this while the pump is running, and anywhere else you think an air leak could be, on the suction side of the pump only, it is a waste of time trying to stop any water leaks from the return/pressure side of the pump, anything that you can notice that is loose as far a hose or pipe that connects to the front of the pump, and anywhere to where the pipe connects at the end, like the skimmer, can be a possible air leak source,

Hi duraleigh,

The leak is on the left intake (suction side) coupling fitting on the part that is nearest to the ground. That side of the piping is not straight like the other side that is marked with blue tape. I've attached a pic. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks in advance for your reply and any input. :D

Attachments

• IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
Assuming that valve is threaded (looks like it is) I would suggest you cut the left PVC coupling fitting below the coupling and remake everything back up to the valve.

Harder, I know, but I don't think you will have much luck getting that epoxy to work in that case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.