Sun dome

Aug 12, 2008
I was searching around for pool stuff and came across a pool dome. I have never giving it any thought before, but now looking at it, I want one. I spend day after day cleaning my pool, since I am surrounded by oaks and my pool is always cold. We have been considering a heater, but it will cost thousands and the solar panels are just too big and I have heard they do not work that good and also, I have been considering removing some trees, but that will cost thousands and I really do not want too cut them down, I like them. I think I could solve all my problems by getting a dome and not too mention that I could extend my swimming season. I have too close my pool in mid september, because the Oaks just drop so much debris not too mention I just opened my pool this weekend, mainly because it has been chilly and so much debis falling from the trees.

So does anyone have an aboveground pool dome? Any pros or cons? I would just be concerned that it would get too hot in there and maybe cause some algae issues, but I am not opposed to warm water. This could really solve so many of our problems. Thanks

Heck, in the Northwest we get PAID for our trees. Then again they are huge douglas and white firs that get top dollar in asia and we have mills here to process them too.

I looked at domes before. Unless you are willing to pay big bucks ($50,000 was my quote) to fully enclose it with a real structure, most will not withstand snow loads. I could not justify the expense for the benefit at this time. Maybe when I win the lottery!

mtbarr64 said:
Heck, in the Northwest we get PAID for our trees. Then again they are huge douglas and white firs that get top dollar in asia and we have mills here to process them too.

I looked at domes before. Unless you are willing to pay big bucks ($50,000 was my quote) to fully enclose it with a real structure, most will not withstand snow loads. I could not justify the expense for the benefit at this time. Maybe when I win the lottery!
The one I am looking at is for a above ground and the dome will be $1,000.00 bucks. I am ordering it now. I will not use it all winter, i just want to extend some fall and spring swimming.

Sparkmaster said:
Just a Suggestion. Have you tried placing an Ad on Craigslist for Free OAK Trees.. "You must Cut and and Remove yourself"..
These trees would have to be removed by pros. They are very close too the pool and house. I have had them all cut back, but I still have tree garbage in my pool everyday. I really like the trees, I don't want to cut them down. This is why I like the idea of the dome.

Please do post pics during and after installation! 8)

mtbarr64 said:
Pictures are always appreciated. :)

So what brand is the dome? What is it made of?
I bought a vinyl sun dome. I tossed up getting the screen dome, but ended up getting the vinyl dome. I think that it is a Fabrico??. I can always add the screen top later, but I don't think that the screen dome will heat the pool. The dome I bought has 3 windows and 1 entry. I am concerned about the pool getting too hot and the dome temps being to hot to stay in, but I saw some pictures that you can pull the vinyl back and open the pool up, so I am hoping that I can regulate the pool and air temperature easily. I have my fingers crossed that this works.

Well I got my dome kit and I have been waiting for a nice day to attach it, but out of know where the pool water is 80 degrees? So I think that I have decided that I am going to hold off for a month and wait till August and buy the screen for the dome, then attach the dome and use the screen through August and switch to the vinyl in September. I just think that the vinyl will make the water too hot now. I just cannot believe how warm the pool is. The weather has been cloudy and rainy and in the 70's for weeks now, I never expected it too warm up this quick, I have not even been using the solar cover. Oh well, I just thought I would give an update..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NJpoolguy said:
Well I got my dome kit and I have been waiting for a nice day to attach it, but out of know where the pool water is 80 degrees?
The weather has been cloudy and rainy and in the 70's for weeks now

Has the day temp gotten higher than 80 in the last few days?

If not, maybe your thermometer is wrong.

AnnaK said:
Your water temp is 80 already? Wow! We're in eastern PA with pretty much the same weather as NJ and our water is hovering at between 72 and 74.
That is scary.

We were in the 80's and 90's two weeks ago in Seattle.

We have now gone something like 25 days without any precipitation and our weather has been sunny and 75 degrees.

Sorry to hear you all are getting our rain this year. posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=111104#
:party:

mtbarr64 said:
AnnaK said:
Your water temp is 80 already? Wow! We're in eastern PA with pretty much the same weather as NJ and our water is hovering at between 72 and 74.
That is scary.

We were in the 80's and 90's two weeks ago in Seattle.

We have now gone something like 25 days without any precipitation and our weather has been sunny and 75 degrees.

Sorry to hear you all are getting our rain this year. posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=111104#
:party:
Good for you, you guys deserve some nice summer weather. Unfortunately for us, I just saw the weather for us and more rain on the way. I have only had my lawn sprinklers on a few times. They have been shut off for weeks :hammer:. We are usually in a drought by now and easily in the mid to upper 80's and humid. Strange.

AnnaK said:
The weather is a little different along the shore here than the rest of state as well as PA. It is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I cannot explain the water temps, but I am not complaining. I did put the solar cover on to get it warmer, but I have not checked the temps, I did put my arm in today and the water is very warm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.