Solar Install

daddymack

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Las Vegas
I think this fits into the OTHER category...

I just installed solar panels on my roof... 26 panels - should produce 7.41kw

I have an all electric home with no gas onsite... so either I go propane or heat pump for pool heat ... haven't done either yet, but did install these babies.
I am hoping to be able to run my pool pumps (2) and my house. I am waiting on the power company to come install my new panel and meter so I can turn them on, but in a test run, at 8 in the morning they were producing enough energy to run my house with the A/C on (I did just put a new A/C unit on 15 seer Maytag, and switched over to all LED lights in my house). I am also going to a Hybrid water heater for the house as well, to cut my footprint down even further. The goal is eventually to the power company pay me, rather than I pay them.. :)

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Solar%20-%202016/IMG_0098.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Solar%20-%202016/IMG_0108.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Solar%20-%202016/IMG_0107.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Solar%20-%202016/IMG_0101.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Solar%20-%202016/IMG_0105.jpg.html][/URL]

The company that did them for me in Vegas is awesome. And I own these outright and get a 30% federal tax credit. The only way to go (i.e. In my opinion, I would never lease btw, I'd be happy to talk to you about that offline).

Did you ever think about a solar system for pool heat rather than electric? I mean one of the black panel systems that heats up the water rather than using PV solar power.

Nice setup. Solar panels would probably work great for heating, and cooling, your pool in your climate. A solar cover will help a lot to hold in heat overnight. 8 mil cheapy is all you need.

Did you ever think about a solar system for pool heat rather than electric? I mean one of the black panel systems that heats up the water rather than using PV solar power.

Most of those systems run 5K, its a wash... if I buy a heater I already have the power I don't have to pay for. I have looked at some of the less expensive passive solar "panels" that are only a few hundred bucks, they may be all I need in Vegas, if I went that way. This system will hopefully run my whole house... I'm not home most of the day and can set my A/C high enough that most of the power I produce will gain me credits for the weekends and nights... that's the plan anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice setup. Solar panels would probably work great for heating, and cooling, your pool in your climate. A solar cover will help a lot to hold in heat overnight. 8 mil cheapy is all you need.

Thanks!!! Exactly my plan, and why I haven't installed a heater at this point. I used them on my old pool and I never turned on the heater, they were awesome... I had bought one to cover the pool and cut it to match, and then I tried the little round ones that you put several in the pool... wasn't really much of difference, at least 10 years ago. One or the other may be better now?

Welcome to solar ownership. I've learned that it's best not to engage into the buy vs. rent your roof out discussion. If somebody asks me about it, I tell them there is a reason they want to put solar on your roof for free, and it isn't to lose money :)

When you are looking to determine your output PVwatts is your friend. Did you get the new 280watt enphase inverters or the m250's. Keep in mind that even though your panels may be 285watt, your inverters won't really go over their nameplate rating and will usually only produce max power for a limited amount of time each day. Real world performance has many factors that PVwatts helps address. Determining your kWh produced will help you plan your energy use in the future.

Breaking even or or staying in the lowest tier should be your goal, not having the poco pay you. This is because depending on your net metering agreement you may only get wholesale rate in return or possibly nothing. Resistance heating of your pool is terribly inefficient and I'm not sure how a heat pump would perform in an arid climate, so you still may consider solar pool heat which as mentioned earlier would give you the ability to cool your pool if need be.

Good of luck and congratulations on your array.

I've got 44 275w panels for 12.1 kw but the most I have seen at any moment is about 10.1kw. My best day was 83kw produced, most summer days are about 65kw / 75kw, the hotter the panels get the less efficient they are. Also they need to be cleaned periodically, mine are on the ground.

You'll be happy you did it, I know it's pricy at first but in my case in another 4 years i'll be making money. Its nice not to shell out to PG&E / whoever.

Welcome to solar ownership. I've learned that it's best not to engage into the buy vs. rent your roof out discussion. If somebody asks me about it, I tell them there is a reason they want to put solar on your roof for free, and it isn't to lose money :)

When you are looking to determine your output PVwatts is your friend. Did you get the new 280watt enphase inverters or the m250's. Keep in mind that even though your panels may be 285watt, your inverters won't really go over their nameplate rating and will usually only produce max power for a limited amount of time each day. Real world performance has many factors that PVwatts helps address. Determining your kWh produced will help you plan your energy use in the future.

Breaking even or or staying in the lowest tier should be your goal, not having the poco pay you. This is because depending on your net metering agreement you may only get wholesale rate in return or possibly nothing. Resistance heating of your pool is terribly inefficient and I'm not sure how a heat pump would perform in an arid climate, so you still may consider solar pool heat which as mentioned earlier would give you the ability to cool your pool if need be.

Good of luck and congratulations on your array.

Thanks - Yes 26 - 285w SolarWorld Panels black/black with the brand new enphase s280 inverters... I have been playing on PVwatts..lol.. I face directly south, fixed at 14.5% (4/12). I don't have any shade or blocking for the most part. I will have it hooked to WIFI so I can check it any given time. I have to wait till Sept 12 to get the new meter though :( our energy company is sloowww.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got 44 275w panels for 12.1 kw but the most I have seen at any moment is about 10.1kw. My best day was 83kw produced, most summer days are about 65kw / 75kw, the hotter the panels get the less efficient they are. Also they need to be cleaned periodically, mine are on the ground.

You'll be happy you did it, I know it's pricy at first but in my case in another 4 years i'll be making money. Its nice not to shell out to PG&E / whoever.

My buddy did mine, and gave me a smoking deal from what I can tell... my normal bill is around $400-500, not including the pool. We will see what happens, but everything is adjustable, including the number of panels...lol..

I'm very interested in this too! I have 54 285w panels on my house right now. They come on Monday to finish the install. Then it's time to get my energy company to do the final inspection.

I just installed a pool too, and have not decided on how to heat the pool and spa. Since I'm in Texas and have and endless pool fast lane in the pool, I want to keep it open year round if I can.

Those are some big systems, before we installed ours we focused on reducing usage and got down to about 8MWh a year. Because of that, we went with 14 SW280 panels then when we installed our pool we added 4 additional panels for 18 total. Our net usage last year was about $200 and since we have to pay ~$10 a month just to have service, out annual bill was $80.

I'm curious as to the size and age of your homes that require 44 and 54 panels. We live in 3400 with a 300 sqft guest house with 5-6 people in 100 plus heat most of the summer.

Those are some big systems, before we installed ours we focused on reducing usage and got down to about 8MWh a year. Because of that, we went with 14 SW280 panels then when we installed our pool we added 4 additional panels for 18 total. Our net usage last year was about $200 and since we have to pay ~$10 a month just to have service, out annual bill was $80.

I'm curious as to the size and age of your homes that require 44 and 54 panels. We live in 3400 with a 300 sqft guest house with 5-6 people in 100 plus heat most of the summer.

Bang on here. Focus first on conservation. Course all you grid tied solar owners have it easy - when you need extra juice, just pull from the grid. Our set up is off grid entirely, and due to conservation, our electricity consumption is about 5 kWh/day....the only way to run a pool pump off the grid is with a solar pump and controller...otherwise it is too much of a strain on the batteries to run these "energy efficient" 240V beast of pumps! Keep truckin all you solar enthusiasts! Love it :)

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Mine was built in 1914, approx 2700 sq ft, upstairs AC, we have our own well. My electric bill was approx $400 per month before, last year I had a surplus and they paid me $140. As I recall I use approx 38kw per day average but I went oversize so if i want a hot tub or to use the RV as a house I have the extra power, the downside was I paid 32k after rebates so the payoff was 6.6 years. The average per day for 2015 was 58kw. As some know in CA we can be charged up to .36 per kwh in the upper tier, it would be nice if we only had to pay what a lot of the rest of the country does but everything here is more expensive.

Fyi, Enphase is in Petaluma and we have made metal parts for them.

Mine was built in 1914, approx 2700 sq ft, upstairs AC, we have our own well. My electric bill was approx $400 per month before, last year I had a surplus and they paid me $140. As I recall I use approx 38kw per day average but I went oversize so if i want a hot tub or to use the RV as a house I have the extra power, the downside was I paid 32k after rebates so the payoff was 6.6 years. The average per day for 2015 was 58kw. As some know in CA we can be charged up to .36 per kwh in the upper tier, it would be nice if we only had to pay what a lot of the rest of the country does but everything here is more expensive.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. That Return on investment might be better than you think since PG&E "simplified" their rates. From my understanding tier 3 is now something like $0.39999 a kWh and possibly heading north.

I like Enphase and their products, just wish I didn't own their stock :)

1914! Wow - before they even invented solar panels! ;). Lol

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Bang on here. Focus first on conservation. Course all you grid tied solar owners have it easy - when you need extra juice, just pull from the grid. Our set up is off grid entirely, and due to conservation, our electricity consumption is about 5 kWh/day....the only way to run a pool pump off the grid is with a solar pump and controller...otherwise it is too much of a strain on the batteries to run these "energy efficient" 240V beast of pumps! Keep truckin all you solar enthusiasts! Love it :)

5kwh per day! that's incredible, you really know how to conserve. I like the fact that I don't have to now with the free power.

Are you sure about 5kWh per day? That's gross usage right, not netted against something.

That seems way too low. I have a big house, two A/Cs, 2-3 fridges, and an electric car and my usage ranges from 3000-6000 kWh/month. 5kWh seems really low - even an efficient fridge uses about 1kWh per day never mind a furnace running in the winter, etc.

By they way in Ontario it doesn't pay to use your own solar power given the microFIT program, at least it didn't until 2016.

Are you sure about 5kWh per day? That's gross usage right, not netted against something.

That seems way too low. I have a big house, two A/Cs, 2-3 fridges, and an electric car and my usage ranges from 3000-6000 kWh/day. 5kWh seems really low - even an efficient fridge uses about 1kWh per day never mind a furnace running in the winter, etc.

By they way in Ontario it doesn't pay to use your own solar power given the microFIT program, at least it didn't until 2016.

I am absolutely sure. Everything is switched, first off. We have propane dryer and stove, and no ac. All lights are fluorescent or LED. The fridge draws about 5A. No TVs are left on, etc, etc. My 1104 Ah, 48V battery bank would not let me use more!

You are correct about the "doesn't" pay, but out place was a new build, that would have cost 20K just to get the grid to our house...so not a typical installation in that regard. We turn cash positive in about 3 years...have been off the grid for 9 years...

Wow - it is amazing to think that I use 30X more electricity than you do! How has it been to live without AC this summer - I am assuming the Ottawa has been about as hot as Toronto.

What kind of batteries do you have? Do the Tesla PowerWall batteries make sense for you?

That seems way too low. I have a big house, two A/Cs, 2-3 fridges, and an electric car and my usage ranges from 3000-6000 kWh/day. 5kWh seems really low - even an efficient fridge uses about 1kWh per day never mind a furnace running in the winter, etc.

Are you sure that isn't monthly usage? That would be $2000 a day electricity bill here.

Wow - it is amazing to think that I use 1000X more electricity than you do! How has it been to live without AC this summer - I am assuming the Ottawa has been about as hot as Toronto.

What kind of batteries do you have? Do the Tesla PowerWall batteries make sense for you?

My buddy says TEsla has a lot of Hoopla, but they are not the best. He also said to wait a year or two, new batteries are coming out that will be amazing for solar. I'm all set up to add the batteries.. Just waiting until he says go...

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke with my buddy today, after we get inspection passed and the meter set in Sept, we can reevaluate and see if I need more panels. I have plenty of room for another 6 plus I can go west facing over the garage. This is almost as much fun as the pool. I will be hooked up via wifi to see each panel and what they are doing, producing, etc..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.