San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So what does everyone think happened that allowed the RIO olympic's diver, and now the water polo pool's to turn deep green with algae overnight! They are over treating the pools with so much chlorine the polo players are complaining they can't open their eyes :stirpot: :eye: :mrgreen: :puker:

Doesn't it seem weird that pool's of that size could turn a deep cloudy green overnight?

No, it was caused by wind and baking soda, according to experts. :laughblue:

Do you think that's actually what caused it???! Baking soda??

I know the heat is making it worse, and it's a lot hotter in RIO than southern california but come on...isn't there full time staff taking care of that? lol

I know the heat is making it worse, and it's a lot hotter in RIO than southern california but come on...isn't there full time staff taking care of that? lol
It isn't that hot in Rio as it is winter there at this time of year. It is actually a lot warmer here in Toronto than it is in Rio. High today in Rio was 24C which is 76F.

"Nope, the green tone seen was due to a proliferation of algae, the organizing body said. The algae bloomed because of heat and lack of wind, it said."

And all this time I've been following TFP and using chlorine when all I need is a big fan and some ice !!

Oh, right, lack of wind. My bad. :)

Yes, not that hot. It was 72 and rainy in Rio yesterday. One article said it was from high alkalinity. Hence baking soda. :-D

The diving pool actually went green on Tuesday and the adjacent water polo pool on Wednesday. The pool used for swimming is indoors and is fine - at least so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sad that one of the test kits could diagnose their issue in minutes and would have them fixing it in no time. But if there is that much algae in there, it will be a while to get it all filtered out. I don't know how they thought it would be nice and blue and clear in one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I would have a look see what TFP members had to say about the situation. My husband suggested I look actually.
You've said the same things I've told my husband of course.
One would think that the Olympics "experts" would know how to take care of pools!

My husband and even our bug man who came today said I would have been all over it before it turned green :)

Sad. Just sad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.