Winter Recommendation for In-Ground Spa

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
As a new spa owner, I am starting to think about the winter months. Here in southern Oregon the average low temperatures from December through March tend to average 30-35℉ with average daytime highs in the 50s℉. Of course there can be those occasional nights when the temperature can dip into the 10-19℉ range. Currently I am running the circulation pump for 3 hours in the late afternoon for general filtration & chlorine generation. The set temperature is 81℉. Of course, freezing is not an issue this time of year.

When winter rolls around, would it be advisable to run the pump longer? Maybe in the early morning hours when the temperatures are generally the lowest? I might mention that the spa has an auto cover.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

We close our spa in December here in IL when the freezing temps tend to stay below freezing all the time. All the pumps need to run when the freeze protection temp is reached. I usually don't run my blower in freeze protect mode since the pipes are all underground. I run my spa two hours first thing in the morning and have it set to turn on when the morning lowest temp is usually met. I then run 2 hours late evening and the blower for one minute and spa jets for 5 minutes first thing in the morning once the water is heated to set temp and right before shutting off at night to get warm water in them. I keep my heater set at 75 degree's during the time the pumps come on each day. My run times are probably overkill but has worked for me without issues. I also have a heavy duty three piece spa cover and plug our one foot spill over when the pool is closed in the fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.