Lowest safe temporary pH (for lowering TA)?

werd98

Feb 7, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hello everyone,

I'd like to lower my TA (it's well above 200) so that I can add borates. What's the lowest I can let my pH go temporarily? I saw another thread where someone mentioned their pool was around 4 pH, and no one was freaking out in the responses :)
iirc the calculator suggested something like 10 bottles of muriatic acid.

Thanks,
Peter

Do not go to 4...go the 7.0 in the procedure and stick with that. You should find it drops fairly quickly (actually cause pH will still rise fast with aeration with high TA) at first then slows later in the process. Aggressive aeration is the single fastest controllable action to hasten it. Other's have noted to add MA at 7.5 rather than waiting until pH hits 7.8 for a couple of reasons. I don't any down side sans using less MA each time.

i took mine to 60 from 150 in about a week while being lazy. dump in half gallon of acid, turn on the overflows and fountains overnight. it hit 90 fast, and then stayed there for days.

By the way, here are my TF-100 readings as of this morning:
Fc 2.0
Cc 0
Ph 7.3
Cya 30
Ta 220
Ch 300? (when I stop swirling, the individual dots look dark blue, but while swirling, it still looks red - are my reagents too old? [3 years])

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.